ABN Monitoring with NextAarm

Mike P

Hi, I am connecting my system to Nextalarm. Having owned a security installation company in the past, I know how monitoring works. But when I sold, It was only Telco and alarmnet monitoring. I have an Elk M1 installed, Can anybody give me any information on what ABN would offer me over dailup??

Thanks,
Mike

I guess in my mind.... 1. it is a choice for those without phone service, 2. It is "needed" (per nextalarm) if you use voip as the systems may not work correctly with VOIP. 3. as a backup? instead of cell you could backup over high speed (cable, fios, satalite, wifi) just not dsl as it uses the same wire as phone and if it gets cut you loose both phone and dsl.

I think the ABN also shows you much more detail on the NextAlarm web interface of the real-time status of your sensors. The ABN can update NextAlarm without tying up your phone line for every sensor change. I don't have an ABN, so NextAlarm only gets notified for arm/disarm & troubles.

Of course, some year now, real soon, there will be support at Nextalarm for the XEP's native IP based notification.. :(

just not dsl as it uses the same wire as phone and if it gets cut you loose both phone and dsl.

Add fios to that list if that is your intent. My understanding is that the reason there is a battery backup for the unit outside is that the traditional phone service goes over the same lines. Cut one, you lose both.

I just connected to Nextalarm about a month ago using an ABN. So far I am very impressed with the service. You do not get real time sensor monitoring with the ABN. The M1 using the ABN transmits all alarm signals by zone, arm and disarm by user and troubles. Also, you can have Nextalarm pole the ABN for connectivity. This poling can be from every five minutes to every hour or poling can be disabled. As the ABN uses the internet connection there are no phone charges or seizures of my home telephone line during these frequent communications.

I get text messages on my cell phone when ever the ABN is down (very rare) or there is trouble with the system. When the ABN restores, I get notification of that as well. In addition I can get alarm notification by zone name and arm and disarm notifications by user and troubles by point on my cell. I have had a couple accidental false alarms and the response from Nextalarm via the ABN is very fast. I think both cases I got a call within 30-45 seconds of the alarm.

I also have FIOS service. I have the FIOS ONT on a large backup power supply which will keep it running for at lease 6 hours in the event of a power outage. In my area power outages are rare but outages that do occur for more than an hour or two are unusual. The backup batteries in the FIOS ONT only power the telephone side of the system. Internet and TV service are not powered during power outages.

The real time zone status would be nice and I too am hoping that Nextalarm soon offers direct IP monitoring for the M1. But in reality, I wonder how often I would be looking to see if the kitchen window for example is open when I am not home - the alarm would be armed and I would get notification that the alarm occurred at the kitchen window if I were out. The biggest advantage of direct IP monitoring in my opinion would be that the system basically would be monitored continuously for connectivity. I am considering adding a cellular radio backup to cover any unforeseen outage.

Hope this info is helpful.

Adding alarmnet to NextAlarm is a very cost effective backup system that has no wiring. I know many that use it as primary however it's not something I recomend.

Adding alarmnet to NextAlarm is a very cost effective backup system that has no wiring. I know many that use it as primary however it's not something I recomend.
Collin, I have not checked with Next alarm yet. But can they monitor AlarmNet?

Mike

here's an ABN related question. when the power goes out in my neighborhood (as it seems to do once a week or so... ugh), do the cable lines lose power to? that is, if i have my cable modem and router on a backup power supply, and the power in my house goes out, will the cable modem retain a connection to the internet, or does the loss of power necessarily mean a loss of cable as well?

here's an ABN related question. when the power goes out in my neighborhood (as it seems to do once a week or so... ugh), do the cable lines lose power to? that is, if i have my cable modem and router on a backup power supply, and the power in my house goes out, will the cable modem retain a connection to the internet, or does the loss of power necessarily mean a loss of cable as well?

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is specific to your cable system's architecture. That is, some have battery backups on the poles, some don't.

Of course, you can always test yours out next time there's a failure! :)

I've found that with battery backup on my cable modem, router, switches, etc., that I do have connectivity during an outage -- at least at the start of the outage.

Back