Personal preference. Here's my take on it:

KP1 advantages:

1) temp sensor
2) internal prox reader can be added
3) couple of more function keys

KP2 advantages:

1) Looks very cool - nice blue backlight too
2) can be flush mounted

Pricing is close so shouldn't be an issue. If you want to flush mount the KP2, make sure to order the flush mount kit.

That pretty much sums it up. Also the KP1 has a built in speaker. KP2 has a spot for one, but is separate. The text on the KP1 is larger and imo easier to read, but the blue is nicer. If we could have the KP1 LCD in blue that would be perfect!

question now is, what can the temp sensor do for me. I don't know what internal prox reader is and what it can do for me. ;)

I guess the new question is, which is going to be more wife-friendly?

Steve said:
That pretty much sums it up. Also the KP1 has a built in speaker. KP2 has a spot for one, but is separate. The text on the KP1 is larger and imo easier to read, but the blue is nicer. If we could have the KP1 LCD in blue that would be perfect!
It is my understanding that the speaker that is build into the KP1 can not have voice anouncements.

A prox reader is basically an access control reader (like you see people use a badge to open a door at a business or hospital). You can use that and an electric door strike to unlock a door.

Also the KP1 speaker does not have the capability for voice announcements but you can raise and lower teh volume of the keypad. I dont think the KP2 can do that but I dont have any (yet).

jm9 said:
Does the panel have the option to go dark, If placed in a bedroom.
I haven't played with the KP2 yet, but, if it is anything like the KP1 with the new keypad firmware you can have a low level backlight that will wake up to a level 6 when an entry/exit delay or alarm occurs. I think ELK is still working on allowing a rule to set backlight levels, i.e. whenever sunset set keypad backlight to 2, whenever sunrise set keypad backlight to 8.

You can control the LED backlight level in the KP2 like the KP1.

Blue KP1 would be nice!! B)

Rosslare Access Control

FYI: When using the Prox reader in the KP1 keypad, heat generated by the Prox Reader will raise the temperature inside the keypad and change the temperature sensor reading. You may have to recalibrate the temperatue by holding the * and F5 key then press f2 key.

From the many requests for a temperature sensor in KP2, it is more enclosed than the kP1 and internal heat generation would affect a temperature sensor should it be built in. ;)

Spanky said:
From the many requests for a temperature sensor in KP2, it is more enclosed than the kP1 and internal heat generation would affect a temperature sensor should it be built in. ;)
That's understandable. But can we squeek for an aestheitcally improved external temp sensor? Maybe something like the HAI Flush Indoor Temp Sensor(2nd item down)? Or maybe a firmware update to allow us to use the HAI ones? I think that will not only solve the KP2 temp issue but give more flexibility elsewhere as well.

Back