AlarmRelay vs NextAlarm

WayneW

spinning up a new thread from http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18767
Alarm Relay DOES use a heartbeat that is configurable and as I learned they DO call on loss of supervision. I know because they do still have a few issues to work out with Elk on dropouts.

But if the absolute knowns are Elk w/XEP and no landline then I think Alarm Relay IP is a very good option to consider.

How does AlarmRelay compare to NextAlarm, specifically when using an Elk M1?

We know that NextAlarm does a lousy job of handling Elk system trouble reports by confusing them with zone names and they refuse to improve this. Has anybody tested expansion or fire trouble reports with AlarmRelay?

AlarmRelay supports the XEP via direct IP monitoring using Surgard. NextAlarm is still working on this.

Does AlarmRelay change extra for IP monitoring? Can you do both IP and POTS monitoring with AlarmRelay?

What does AlarmRelay charge for Uplink cellular backup monitoring?

NextAlarm offers an economical "self monitoring" service with makes it pretty easy to get normal open/close (ie arm/disarm) type email messages. I don't think AlarmRelay has anything other than full blown monitoring?

How flexible is the AlarmRelay email notification setup? How detailed are the emails (zone, user name, trouble, etc)

I know NextAlarm exposes your activity log on their website. Does AlarmRelay? included or extra charge?

AFAIK, "ABN" is a NextAlarm product brand name. What device does AlarmRelay suggest for customer without a landline and before Elk supported Surgard? The AlarmRelay site is vague on this.

Defining all your zones & users is a DIY process on the NextAlarm web site. Is AlarmRelay similar?

I know this is not what you are asking but I have used NextAlarm with HAI for many years with no problems. Several years ago, after an HAI firmware upgrade, the monitoring status wasn't working correctly. I gave HAI's number to Next Alarm, and they phoned each other to fix the problem which was on Next Alarm's side. That's pretty good service.

With Next Alarm you can update your zone list, but they need to approve it which takes a few hours.

I've used dial-up and internet and both work great.

I called AlarmRelay today to ask some of these questions - their base price covers the Elk and it's built in IP monitoring. They don't charge extra for IP vs. POTS.

Regarding Cellular - if you use something where you bring your own SIM card (like the C3 or others) they don't charge extra - it's the same base price... but they said they don't recommend those. They prefer things like the telguard or the uplink anywhere - for those they charge an additional $12/month - but that is to cover the cell service itself - you don't have to add it to your cell phone account, provide a SIM, or anything else.

Here's my $.02 YMMV, but I do this as a pro, I have different views.

I'm not a fan of Nextalarm based on a lot of their misinformation campaign from years back. They used to be the only party out there that would get involved when VOIP started proliferating and (in my area of the country) digital voice also came to rise (basically VOIP in my state). They are not the monitoring company, they sub out the service to a 3rd party. I've heard firsthand horror stories about not being able to get in touch with them regarding account issues, including communication troubles. Not what makes me feel warm and fuzzy personally, I want to be able to speak to someone NOW.

Alarm relay isn't bad, they're at least the service provider and have onsite techs. The problem I've had is there's a lot of orphaned accounts in my state that are monitored by them. I've gotten contracted to maintain, service, and upgrade them by the homeowners before. My problem with alarm relay is when I call, I am speaking to an "operator" that really doesn't know much about an alarm or anything that I may need to do/accomplish as a tech/dealer. I've had them misidentify points based on a report code in a panel (specifically a Caddx NX8 and a low temperature) since I had to program it as a non-conventional zone type because of panel limitations. When I called to make all the changes and verify the signals, etc. I couldn't get any information as the "senior techs" were not going to be in that day (Sat.) and any changes had to be faxed and wait for the data department to be inputted. It seems that they're limited to what is on their "menu" so to speak.

As a dealer, I deal with my own CS, but any time I call, I can have an account built, an accurate log pulled up, know the exact signals and report codes sent, as well as have the account updated/modified while I am on the phone with them. I also know that I can customize the response, as well as have an accurate report of the system's events, unlike what I've heard from some regarding the Elk reporting a module and additional information that is being misintrepreted by their company.

The point of this is there are variables, but you need to compare apples to apples and ask the provider what their policies and protocols are for specific events.

DEL,

What you describe would be ideal... The problem is, what are the options for DIY? DIYers barely get support as it is... So what do you suggest they do?

It's a tough thing to answer because as a pro I have different standards and expectations than most for a CS and service providers. I have accounts that I monitor for what AR charges, so I think it depends on the integrator. I think most end-users are content in the fact they're paying less, irregardless of the differences.

If I could remove liability and actually trust someone's install, I'd sell monitoring to an end-user :D

It's a fine line in the security industry with a DIY install, because truth of the matter is a pro has the benefit of the experience with the products, methods, and best practices irregardless of another's background, unless they specifically engineer security.

So as far as relevance to the OP, all I can take out of all that is that NextAlarm doesn't do their own monitoring, isn't as capable (direct IP monitoring with the Elk), and they have more problems with screwing up ID's between expansion modules. Alarm Relay does support direct IP monitoring; has pretty decent pricing, and works well with DIY, and people generally seem happier with them... That about sum it up?

As far as what DIY doesn't have access, well, that doesn't change much.

So is there any reason to steer clear of Alarm Relay? I just finished setting up my Elk and ordered the XEP so I could use Alarm Relay's direct IP/internet monitoring solution. I just called and spoke with someone who sounded knowledgeable -- $8.95/mo for full monitoring. Sounds good to me as long as they're reliable and reputable.

Ok I read this and decided to call again........

This time someone picked up on about the 4th ring. He seemed to know what he is talking about. For $20.95 a month they will monitor TCP/IP and Cell backup (they pay the cell charges). That is reasonable. Their hours for service are 7 to 5:30 PST so 10 to 8:30 EST which is pretty helpful.

I did ask why they did not respond to the online request and the guy kind of stuttered and said uhhh that happens.

I might give them a shot.

Ok I read this and decided to call again........

This time someone picked up on about the 4th ring. He seemed to know what he is talking about. For $20.95 a month they will monitor TCP/IP and Cell backup (they pay the cell charges). That is reasonable. Their hours for service are 7 to 5:30 PST so 10 to 8:30 EST which is pretty helpful.

I did ask why they did not respond to the online request and the guy kind of stuttered and said uhhh that happens.

I might give them a shot.

Digger,

I think you will be satisfied. Although, doing the IP thing might throw a monkey wrench in there. I do strictly cellular but it is over an hai c3 unit so the cellular charges are covered at my end. It works out to about $17/mo total.

My friends security system has been more of a challenge but alarm relay has been good about it. The purpose of the alarm was an ex-wife who has a habbit of selling my friends stuff when he leaves town, and he is out of town a lot. The system was installed to stop her. Well, she broke in, set off the alarm, the police were dispatched, and then she convinced the police she was a rightful occupant. !!!! After speaking with alarm relay they now dispatch with specific police instruction that only my friend or me are allowed to send them away. Anyone else gets arrested. So far so good. He also got a restraining order.

My previous concern was I called a few times last week and got a recording and left a message and nobody called back (I had called during normal business hours). I had also sent in an online form asking questions and nobody called back.

The only question the tech could not answer was if I needed to port forward anything for the TCP/IP to work and he said he didn't know. Otherwise he was able to answer my questions including how much additional the cell backup was (Uplink 2500 is covered under the cheaper rate).

I've been using Alarm Relay for several years now via dial up with my current Caddx system. They have been so helpful I've had two other friends make the switch as well. The techs have been always more than helpful, granted you have to buy tech time if it's not a new account.

Mark

Back