Alternatives to C1M1 for M1

kwschumm

I can't use the C1M1 I bought because of low signal strength even with the remote antenna in the top of the attic and direct line of sight with the nearest AT&T tower.

For some reason it has a signal strength of 0 while our 4G router a few feet away has a good -85dB signal.

What are other M1 users using for communicators if they don't use the M1? I'm hoping to use AlarmRelay as the monitoring company.

TIA

I’m sure you’re aware that there’s an M1XEP that gives an Ethernet port.

Alarm Relay has a cell dialer module that I *believe* uses Verizon.

Sounds like you’re mostly interested in cell communication. Do you know which towers are closest / best signal? Years ago I used an iOS app called open signal that showed antenna location and it was helpful for installing a cell booster in a remote location.

Not suggesting you need a cell booster although you could look into it if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uplink® 5500EZ connected via serial port on ELK-M1XSP Serial Port Expander.

Alarm relay just sent me a upgraded ($100.00) one that is LTE AT&T due to the older 4500EZ 4G service model are going away.

Works great and was plug n play compatible with older uplink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrojanHorse said:
I’m sure you’re aware that there’s an M1XEP that gives an Ethernet port. Alarm Relay has a cell dialer module that I *believe* uses Verizon. Sounds like you’re mostly interested in cell communication. Do you know which towers are closest / best signal? Years ago I used an iOS app called open signal that showed antenna location and it was helpful for installing a cell booster in a remote location. Not suggesting you need a cell booster although you could look into it if needed. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response.

I bought an M1XEP to replace the C1M1 just to communicate with the M1 (could not get the C1M1 USB & LAN functions to work).

I didn't realize the XEP also had the ability to do IP communication.

The only internet I have is 4G, which works great, the cellular communicator function is probably redundant. If the XEPs IP communicator ability works  I'll be all set.

serodgers said:
Uplink® 5500EZ connected via serial port on ELK-M1XSP Serial Port Expander. Alarm relay just sent me a upgraded ($100.00) one that is LTE AT&T due to the older 4500EZ 4G service model are going away. Works great and was plug n play compatible with older uplink. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great information, thanks!

kwschumm said:
For some reason it has a signal strength of 0 while our 4G router a few feet away has a good -85dB signal.

For future reference, -85 dB is a weak signal.  0 dB (if that is an actual measured value) is a very strong signal.  You should make sure that the antenna has a solid connection.

jpmargis said:
For future reference, -85 dB is a weak signal.  0 dB (if that is an actual measured value) is a very strong signal.  You should make sure that the antenna has a solid connection.
Not what I read (actually the source I read said "fair") but thanks. The internet lies again. I measured the -85dBm from a WilsonPro meter. If that's weak it gives me all I need for internet and cell phone, never had a problem. Top of a hill and line of site to tower. But I am installing a cell booster anyway because it could certainly be better and it's the only way to communicate from this place.

My understanding is you guys are both probably right but talking about different things.

kwschumm is more right though I think. For WiFi -85dbm would be poor but for a cellular signal it’s pretty good and good enough if it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm left wondering how the 0 dB measurement was made.  Would this happen to be the "bars" indicator on the Elk C1M1?  If so, -85 dB should be good enough for at least 1 bar with the antenna directly connected.  You might just have a bad Elk C1M1 or maybe you have the Verizon version?

jpmargis said:
So I'm left wondering how the 0 dB measurement was made.  Would this happen to be the "bars" indicator on the Elk C1M1?  If so, -85 dB should be good enough for at least 1 bar with the antenna directly connected.  You might just have a bad Elk C1M1 or maybe you have the Verizon version?
Very good points! The 4G router signal uses an AT&T tower, where the -85dB signal was measured, and it is the Verizon version of the C1M1. Apples and Oranges. We use Verizon phone service, and my phone gets one bar reception where the panel is located, but I'll have to measure the Verizon signal with a meter.

Back