Another motion / light activation problem

brotsten

I would like some of the lights in my kitchen to activate when it's dark and motion is detected, unless they were turned on by switch press already.

I have a Centralite Elegance system and tried the following rules.

Set ouput on when Kitchen light switch is pressed
10 WHENEVER Kitchen Cans [24 (B8)] IS TURNED ON BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE
THEN TURN Kit Light Switch (Out 64) ON
THEN ANNOUNCE Alarm Acknowledged (vm213) --This is for debugging only
Set ouput off when Kitchen light switch is pressed
11 WHENEVER Kitchen Cans [24 (B8)] IS TURNED OFF BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE
THEN TURN Kit Light Switch (Out 64) OFF
Motion in Kitchen @ night turn cans on for 5 munites
12 WHENEVER Nook Motion (Zn 54) BECOMES NOT SECURE
AND IT IS DARK OUTSIDE
AND Kit Light Switch (Out 64) STATE IS OFF
THEN SET Kitchen Cans [24 (B8)] TO 60%

The communitcations between the M1 and the Centralite work fine, I can operate the lights with rules and M1XEP lighting screen shows the changes when the switches on the Elegance is used.

The problem seems to be with the "WHENEVER Kitchen Cans [24 (B8)] IS TURNED ON BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE" rule. I assumed this would apply to switch presses, but I cannont find any information on it.

Brian

The problem seems to be with the "WHENEVER Kitchen Cans [24 (B8)] IS TURNED ON BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE" rule. I assumed this would apply to switch presses, but I cannont find any information on it.

Can you elaborate on what you'd like to know more about "TURNED ON BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE"?

My understanding is that "EXTERNAL DEVICE" is anything other than the M1 that controls lighting. It can be the switch itself (if it broadcasts its state) or another controller in the home (remote control, home automation program, etc). Let's assume a home using X10 lighting that can be controlled via the M1 and HomeSeer. If HomeSeer transmits an X10 signal to turn on the Kitchen Lights, the M1 will detect this signal and recognize it is being sent by an "EXTERNAL DEVICE". If you turn on the light switch manually, and it is a 2-way switch, it broadcasts its state and the M1 is informed the light was turned on by an "EXTERNAL DEVICE".

To accomplish this trick, the M1 must be set to 2-way mode (jumper JP2) and be equipped with a 2-way PowerLine Module (PSC05) so that it can monitor X10 signals sent on the powerline.

I'm not completely familiar with Centralite's products but I believe it transmits command signals via dedicated wiring as opposed to the AC lines. Whatever interface you're using between the M1 and the Centralite needs to be in "2-way" mode.

I'm not completely familiar with Centralite's products but I believe it transmits command signals via dedicated wiring as opposed to the AC lines. Whatever interface you're using between the M1 and the Centralite needs to be in "2-way" mode.

Yes, the Centralite is hardwired. I'm using an M1XSP to interface with the lighting controller.

They seem to be talking back and forth fine, thus my question about the rule. Perhaps it's not implemented in the M1 with regards to the Centralite systems.

Brian

..They seem to be talking back and forth fine, thus my question about the rule. Perhaps it's not implemented in the M1 with regards to the Centralite systems.

OK, if they're communicating bi-directionally yet the "EXTERNAL DEVICE" qualifier is never triggered then there may very well be a bug ... or Elk has a completely interpretation of how "EXTERNAL DEVICE" works.

I think we'll need someone from Elk to respond to the question.

PS
I think I'll try the EXTERNAL DEVICE qualifier with my M1 (interfaced with X10 lighting via a PSC05 module).

FWIW
I created a simple rule to say the time whenever the Kitchen Light was turned on by an EXTERNAL DEVICE. I used my Home Automation software to turn on the light and the M1 spoke the time. The EXTERNAL DEVICE qualifier works properly with the X10 interface (PSC05 and JP2 set to 2-way). Cold comfort for users of the M1/Centralite interface ...

Any thoughts on this problem, Spanky?

Back