Any Future for Channel Modulators?

Mark S.

For many years, I have used channel modulators to "inject" my security cameras into my analog cable TV feed. It was very convenient to flip to channel 102 to see what was going on in front of the garage, etc.

But now it's becoming a new digital TV world. I guess it's just a matter of time before I have to give up analog cable.

1) When digital happens, I assume my existing modulators are useless? Is there such a thing as digital modulators? Do they, or can they, even work?

2) If not, I was thinking about switching to IP cameras and servers. But is there a way to view them on digital TV?

3) Any other options to interface cameras with TV?

Mark

Your old setup *could* still work. You'd have to first find an unused 6MHz channel to park it in (and whether your current setup is tunable, or you are stuck with using channel 102). Interference to/from adjacent channels might be an issue, and there's no guarantee the channel you find will stay vacant.

If you do decide to upgrade, you might take a look at MoCA (multimedia over coax aliance) product offerings:
http://www.mocalliance.org/en/index.asp

Just pointing it out; not recommending it since I've not had the need to try. I'm sure there will be several ways to accomplish what you want to do, and I'd also expect you cable provider would give ample notice if they are going to discontinue your old service.

For many years, I have used channel modulators to "inject" my security cameras into my analog cable TV feed. It was very convenient to flip to channel 102 to see what was going on in front of the garage, etc.

But now it's becoming a new digital TV world. I guess it's just a matter of time before I have to give up analog cable.

1) When digital happens, I assume my existing modulators are useless? Is there such a thing as digital modulators? Do they, or can they, even work?

2) If not, I was thinking about switching to IP cameras and servers. But is there a way to view them on digital TV?

3) Any other options to interface cameras with TV?

Mark

Technically, I think cable will still offer analog service post-deadline. It's the OVER THE AIR analog service that is being discontinued. (If you are like our area, we already receive "analog" versions of OTA HD tv shows...). Cable does the digital to analog conversion for you.

There's no shipping or officially-announced product that I'm aware of to do it, but I'll be absolutely SHOCKED if SOMEBODY doesn't make a device that can take 480i video as input, and modulate it to something a TV with ATSC-compatible tuner can handle within the next 3-5 years. If you're planning for the future, I'll predict that a device that uses QAM will probably hit the market at least a year or two before a device that uses 8VSB, simply because QAM is easier and cheaper to implement a minimal subset that's "good enough" for in-home distribution (assuming you had to implement the whole thing from scratch with discrete components; the moment someone rolls out a nice ASIC to do most of the work behind 8VSB modulation, the whole equation changes).

Unlike NTSC/PAL modulators, an ATSC modulator will be neither simple nor cheap, because it needs to do three things:

* Decode the analog video and audio signals to bitstreams.

* Encode them to primitive MPEG-2 video and audio streams, optionally combine them with one or more additional sets of streams (if you want to have two or more subchannels, like 3.1, 3.2, etc), and bundle them into an ATSC-compliant ~19.2mbit/sec bitstream

* modulate them to channel 3, 4, or some other channel via QAM or 8VSB

Right now, an engineer with background in mixed-signal design could probably build a box capable of handling 1-4 480i video streams as a personal hobby project for about $1,200-1,800... and build subsequent ones for about $500. If a real company with the resources of Cisco or D-Link were behind it, the cost would probably fall to $199-299. Add Chinese companies, and whack another hundred off within a year, with ~$99 probably being the "island of stability" before the manufacturers lose interest in 480i and go for newer, more expensive models that can do 480p60 from component video, then maybe 1080i with 640 or 720 horizontal pixels, then 960. Beyond that point, the legal problems are harder to overcome than the technical ones thanks to the nice folks behind Macrovision and HDCP (whose viral licensing terms infect everything they touch, as well as everything made by someone infected by the Macrovision/HDCP legal virus).

The good news is that we ARE likely to see at least one solution that involves a capture+encode+transmit box at one end of an ethernet cable, and one or more decode+output-to-tv boxes at the other end, by Christmas. The hardware to get the video into MPEG-4 and shoot it down the ethernet already exists -- HAVA, Slingbox, and others. All that's missing is the box to plug into the network, grab the video stream, decode it back to video, and output it to an attached TV without involving a computer as an expensive faux cable box. HAVA boxes can already output straight MPEG-4 via RTSP that's compatible with open-source playback software, so it's only a matter of time before they (or someone with a background in embedded hardware design) makes a box to do it.

I use modulators heavily for:

Display of text messages from my Stargate (PICTV adapter)

Display of CCTV cameras

Share DVD players (at Christmas the local player would not play a certain disc. Just stuck it in a player connected to a modulator and avoided a Holiday disaster!)

Share legacy media sources (Beta, LaserDisc, PAL VHS, PAL DVD)

Display weather station screen from my weather PC

Etc....

I am hoping something like Sage might address these aplications in the future but I am still fuzzy on whether it really can.

You also have solutions like the Channel Vision Affinity Module. It is available in two flavors:

2-in/1-out, IR over Coax controlled A/B Switch or
3-in/8-out, IR over Coax controlled A/B/C Switch

It allows you to have both modulated signals and digital cable signals on a single coax.

www.logenex.com

they have old school modulators and they offer different ranges of notch filters
they also have digital cable modulators they can custom tune it to delete any single channel
great price........

cheers

bryan

don't have any modulators, but . . can't you inject after the set top box ?

if you use a digital cable box and your analog TV is watching ch 3, you have all the other analog channels to use for modulators, no ?

don't have any modulators, but . . can't you inject after the set top box ?

if you use a digital cable box and your analog TV is watching ch 3, you have all the other analog channels to use for modulators, no ?

if you had extra dedicated lines for modulating... but if you go through the same cable you have to use a deletion filter and that would knock off digital channels

IMHO modulators are dead.

You can buy ATSC and QAM gear now however it's crazy expensive broadcast gear. At least that is all I have seen.

I am hoping something like Sage might address these aplications in the future but I am still fuzzy on whether it really can.

It can and does however the PVR500 is being discontinued and so I suggest you stock up on them now.

It really sucks that I do not have a D1 30fps multichannel card with multichannel audio, for larger installs this would be king. I'm hoping someday it will exist just for installs as you discribe, no channel tuning but several inputs.

I agree, I think they're all but dead as well. The only thing I've used them for in the last 18 months is to modulate security cameras and even then only if I had or was able to get a dedicated line to the TV's to use as a separate input. It's just such a mess trying to get them to co-exist with digital, if you can do it at all.

not sure about your cable providers where all you guys live ... but most digital cable providers here in canada have a dedicated lobby/security channel which gets remapped

for example..

you would delete channel 59 with a single channel deletion filter
then inject the video feed with a modulator on ch.59
the digital stb would remap ch 59 to ch 998

the logenex unit I described earlier is a single ch deletion filter and modulator all in one...they can tune it to delete any RF channel....provided the cable company has the dedicated analog RF ch it remaps to digital..... it runs for about $400cad which is not bad

cheers
Bryan

Back