Any open-source projects that use Insteon?

BraveSirRobbin said:

I take it this is truly free and open source (hate to think you were using our boards for spam ;) )!
No mentioning of open source in that website, but I did see a support for Philips Hue integration. With Philips Hue API, I can see myself developing my own Linux application that communicates via URL using cURL, which is very cool, so I'm planning to move away from Insteon with the exception of appliance modules. If I get rid of my Insteon lamp modules, I'm planing to buy Philips Hue for Christmas and see how dimmable these lights are compared to incandescent light bulbs (I tried TruDim CFL bulbs but they don't meet the claims of 2% to 100% dimming range and they flicker around 23-24% and can go off below that point).

So all in all, it's nice to see Philips open up their API so that I can use them for private use at my apartment. But my mom isn't that convinced like a single Philips Hue light bulb costs $200 but that is because I'm a home automation nerd.

Anyway, I know my thread is about Insteon, but there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Well, almost as I'm looking for something that I can turn on/off my appliances with such as my bedroom fan. Other than lights and appliances, I also saw Nest Thermostat and Protect integration, but I don't think Nest is as open as Philips. No big deal since I live in my apartment. edTreeHouse is still working in it, but with no mention of open source, no thanks.

I can't wait for my Debian server to communicate with all the stuff throughout my entire apartment. At least my mom's Blu-Ray player communicates with my MythTV backend for watching recorded TV shows.

Back