Anyone have the install to ElkRP (not RP2)/ Issues connecting via LAN to M1XEP

politics123

Hi -- 

Still trying to update/upgrade my way out of running ElkRP on my older computer. I bought an M1XEP  and plan to use ElkRP2 over the network (not serial), however I'm having a tough time getting that to work.

When I try to connect over the network, I get the dreaded "Disconnected: System rejected Remote Programming Access Code," -- i know my programming code, it works just fine when I connected via ElkRP over the serial cable, but it doesn't work via LAN.

To troubleshoot, I updated to reasonably current firmware (4.6.8) -- no joy. I installed ElkRP2 to another computer -- no joy. I was going to try and enable insecure connections, but the button in ElkRP to "send" that config change to the XEP is grayed out. I want to try using a later version of ElkRP...

Thanks!
Michael

Original Question:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/28105-how-to-upgrade-a-really-old-elk-m1g-firmware-and-elkrp/

What version of Windows are you using?

Is this a fresh install of the XEP module and/or have you connected to it before?

A few suggestion if you have not already tried them...

The XEP defaults to DHCP. I suggest define a static lease for the XEP MAC address in your router and/or login to your router to find out what IP address it assigned to the XEP.

ElkRP software defaults to the default 6 digit installer code. If you changed it from the default you will need to update the installer code in the ElkRP software.

The ElkRP software requires .NET. Make you have have the latest .NET installed.

If you are trying to run on W10, you must first update the XEP firmware on a computer running an older version of Windows. W10 dropped support for less secure encryption bit depths, which the XEP needs to be updated first before trying to connect on a W10 machine.

All the latest firmware and software is available from the M1 Owners site.http://www.elkproducts.com/m1_owner_support.html

elvisimprsntr said:
A few suggestion if you have not already tried them...

The XEP defaults to DHCP. I suggest define a static lease for the XEP MAC address in your router and/or login to your router to find out what IP address it assigned to the XEP.

Why not just statically set the XEP's address?

drvnbysound said:
Why not just statically set the XEP's address?
Exactly. Saves a lot of grief in the long run if DHCP assigns another address or the end user doesn't pull the IP out of the pool, which essentially is the same as setting a static to begin with. These devices aren't usually on large networks.

I've found defining a static lease is the better way to go, because some XEP firmware updates force a factory reset which defaults to DHCP. Saves from having to figure what IP address is assigned since the static lease defines the IP address.

Thanks for your replies.

I prefer static leases too, since there's one place (my router config) that contains all the IP addresses... nice quick-reference for my multitudes of servers, raspberry pi's, and wireless devices. Since I have a bunch of port-forwards and ACLs anyway, it's nice that everything is in one place.

I had been trying on Windows 10. I read the advisory and retried from Win7 box, and of course it worked.

So you're all thinking I should just update the firmware and I'd be able to use the W10 box, but surprise... the XEP came from the factory with the latest version (2.0.34) which *in theory* was compatible with Windows 10...

Any thoughts?

More suggestions, if not already attempted...

Use the W7 installation to enable XEP port 2101, then try using 2101 on W10 ElkRP2 installation. That will isolate encryption.

Use the W7 to update all the Elk firmware to latest version. Then try W10 installation.

Make sure the ElkRP2 serial number is an 8 digit number, prefix with zeros.

Make sure RP access code in ElkRP2 is correct. There is a local programming code defined in globals and a separate remote programming code for the XEP.

I'm running .NET 4.6.1 on W7 w/o a problem.

Also using Elk M1 5.3.8 firmware without problem.

I've fielded 5+ XEPs and haven't had an issue with a FW update to-date. If it did default to a DHCP address, it's simple to use the "FIND" button to locate the XEP in your DHCP address pool.

Personally, I define my DHCP pool to be no more than ~50 addresses and statically set everything that is not a phone or tablet. Definitely do whatever you are most comfortable with, because it's you who will be troubleshooting if there is an issue, and it's easier to troubleshoot what you know and are comfortable with.

Sorry for the confusion... I didn't update the firmware... using a new XEP which came out-of-the-box with latest firmware. And never had any issues with the IP address, just the "login" part (using the XEP diagnostic utility, you could see the XEP negotiating with the M1 and then failing to connect).

So... went back and tried the Windows 10 machine and it connected and worked just fine. Didn't change anything on the Win10 machine nor network, but obviously, something changed... wondering if the stuff I did from the Win7 machine (eg: configured email, gave it a name, etc) had an effect.

Anyway... I'm a happy camper... and can finally retire my 14 year old PC! Thank you for the hints and suggestions!

Back