Anyone want a HS script made?

I cannot promise anything on the price, but the previous plug-ins he released are all free. In fact one was incorporated into HS and released as an official HS supported plug-in, still being free.

I am trying to convince him to release one of his early plug-ins that I have been testing, it offers network monitoring (similar to doonetwork) and also device status string changing. I.E. On=Open, Off=Closed. On=home, Off=Away.

I use this with the current Caddx plug-in so that it properly shows open/closed also showing the time in that current state. This is a great plug-in and amazing considering it was his first attempt.

I will see if I can get more information.

:blink:

I'm going a little off topic here but what is cadx? Is it something i could replace my existing security system with. The system i have now does not do me any good but its a complete wired system. Al the sesors are wired to one central loaction so it would be easy to swap out the keypad and controller unit if i new what to swap it out with. I only have window and door sensors. No motion detectors. I think the fire alarm may be wired into the controller also. I know they are atleast all wired together.

If i were to replace my system i would want to replace it with something that HS can monitor but i also would not want it to take me broke. Maybe a few hundred dollars?

The Caddx is an alarm system, made by GE, they have since changed the name to NetworX. More info can be found here: http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/g...ntru&lang=en_US

I know Martin now carries these as well as Worthington.

I do not know much technial information about how these compare to others. I have only installed one unit, and did so based upon A: it's price, and B: it's integration to HomeSeer, which i have not been very happy with. (but that is another story, which hopefully will be solved with the new plug-in)

Overall I think it is a fine alarm, but it is not installed in my house so I have no day to day experience with it. I do know it can be wired and wireless at the same time.

Squintz said:
How does it interface with HS... RS232?
Yup, RS-232. you will need a special cable for the Caddx though... not hard to find or get, it is just not included so you have to remember to ask for it.

I am having trouble designing a script to do what you want BSR. Reason being that i don't have a setup to work off of. I have figured out how I would monitor all the devices from one script but the script would be much better if i could tailor it to your individual needs. So i think im gonna wait out this one and see if that plug-in does what you need it to. If you get tired of waiting for the plugin let me know and i will try to work with you one on one to get all the information i need to make a script just for your situation.

Squintz:

Can you make me a snow removal script?

Martin:

For the beer, run wife 1.0 or 2.0 script . It might get you the beer but creates a whole lot of other issues. :blink:

There are a few issues with those scripts. Just a quick look found this:

Upgrading to Wife 1.0

Last year a friend of mine upgraded from Girlfriend 4.0 to Wife 1.0 and found that it's a memory hog leaving few system resources for other applications. He is also now noticing the Wife 1.0 is also spawning Child-processes which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of this particular phenomenon was included in the product documentation, though other users have informed me that this is to be expected due to the nature of the application.
Not only that, Wife 1.0 installs itself so that it is always launched at system initialization where it can monitor all other system activity. Some applications such as PokerNite 10.3 , Bachelor Party 2.5, and Pubnite 7.0 are no longer able to run on the system at all, causing the system to lockup when launched (even though the apps worked fine before).

Wife 1.0 provides no installation options. Thus, the installation of undesired plug-ins such as Mother-in-law 55.8 and the Brother-in-law Beta is unavoidable. Also, system performance seems to diminish with each passing day.

Some features my friend would like to see in the upcoming Wife 2.0:

A "don't remind me again" button.
Minimize button.
Ability to delete the "headache" file
An install feature that provides an option to uninstall 2.0 version without loss loss of other system resources.
An option to run the network driver in "promiscuous mode" allowing the the system's Hardware Probe feature to be much more useful/effective.
I myself wish I had decided to avoid all of the headaches associated with Wife 1.0 by sticking with Girlfriend 3.0 Even here, however, I have found many problems. Apparently you cannot install Girlfriend 4.0 on top of girlfriend 3.0. You must uninstall Girlfriend 3.0 first, otherwise the two versions of Girlfriend will have conflicts over shared use of the I/O port. Other users have told me that this is a long-standing problem that I should have been aware of. Guess that explains what happened to versions 1 and 2.

To make matters worse, the uninstall program for Girlfriend 3.0 doesn't work very well, leaving undesirable traces of the application in the system. Another identified problem is that all versions of Girlfriend have annoying little messages about the advantages of upgrading to Wife 1.0!

VIRUS ALERT

All users should be aware that Wife 1.0 has an undocumented bug. If you try to install Mistress 1.1 before uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Once that happens, Mistress 1.1 won't install and you will get an "insufficient resources" error message. To avoid the aforementioned bug, try installing Mistress 1.1 on a different system and " never" run any file transfer applications(such as Laplink) between the two systems.

FYI: Don't even think about a shared directory!!!!!!!!!

Have you also noticed that all Wife installations seem to come with Nag-wear that you just can't get rid of? And sometimes the usual "OK" response buttons change so it causes you to have to pay attention to them?

John

Sequel to Upgrading to Wife 1.0.
Can you please advise me. I'm having some problems. I'm currently running the latest version of Girlfriend and I've been having some problems lately. I've been running the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 all along as my primary application, and all the girlfriend releases have always conflicted with it. I hear that DrinkingBuddies won't crash if you run girlfriend in background mode with the sound turned off. But I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the switch to turn the sound off. I just run them separately, and it works okay. Girlfriend also seems to have a problem coexisting with my Golf program, often trying to abort Golf with some sort of timing incompatibility. I probably should have stayed with girlfriend 1.0, but I thought I might see better performance with GirlFriend 2.0. After months of conflicts and other problems, I consulted a friend who has had experience with GirlFriend 2.0. He said that I probably didn't have enough cache to run girlfriend 2.0, and that eventually it would require a Token ring to run properly. He was right --- as soon as I purged my cache, it uninstalled itself. Shortly after that, I installed girlfriend 3.0 beta. All the bugs were supposed to be gone, but the first time I used it gave me a virus. I had to clean out my whole system and shut down for a while.

I very cautiously upgraded to girlfriend 4.0. This time I used a SCSI probe first and also installed a virus protection program. It worked okay for a while until I discovered that GirlFriend 1.0 was still in my system! Then I tried to run GirlFriend 1.0 again with GirlFriend 4.0 still installed, but GirlFriend 4.0 has a feature that I didn't know about that automatically senses the presence of any other version of girlfriend and communicates with it in some way, which results in the immediate removal of both versions! The version I have right now works pretty well, but there are still some problems. Like all versions of girlfriend, it is written in some obscure language that I can't understand, much less reprogram. Frankly, I think there is too much attention paid to the look and feel rather than the desired functionality. Also, to get the best connections with your hardware, you usually have to use gold-plated contacts. And I've never liked how GirlFriend is totally "object-oriented". A year ago, a friend of mine upgraded his version of GirlFriend to GirlFriendPlus 1.0, which is a Terminate and Stay Resident version of GirlFriend. He discovered that GirlFriendPlus 1.0 expires within a year if you don't upgrade to Fiancee 1.0. So he did. But soon after that, he had to upgrade to Wife 1.0, which he describes as a "huge resource hog". It has taken up all of his space, so he can't load anything else. One of the primary reasons that he upgraded to Wife 1.0 is that it came bundled with FreeSexPlus 1.0. Well, it turns out that the resource allocation module of Wife 1.0 sometimes prohibits access to FreesexPlus, particularly the new Plug-Ins he wanted to try. On top of that, Wife 1.0 must be running on a well warmed-up system before he can do anything. Although -he did not ask for it, Wife 1.0 came with MotherInLaw 1.0 which has an automatic pop-up feature that he can't turn off. I told him to try installing Mistress 1.0, but he said that he heard if you try to run it without first uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself, Then Mistress 1.0 won't install anyway due to insufficient resources. Can you help??

Back