Aprilaire 8800 TStat with OmniPro II?

rstout

Hello all.  Long time lurker, first time poster here.

So after many years of wishing, I finally dove head first into an HAI OmniPro II install a few weeks ago, and things are progressing nicely.  HVAC control was in my long term plans, but I've just had an A/C unit go out on me that will escalate this aspect of my project.  Without doing a whole lot of research, I quickly settled in on the HAI RC2000, as I'll be putting in a new 2-stage heat/cool system and want humidity control.  I've heard through a trustworthy source that the Aprilaire 8800 is a pretty nice alternative to the RC2000, and that it directly integrates into the OPII without any add-on controllers or protocol converters.  Naturally (for me anyhow), I want to investigate the Aprilaire option, but I cannot find any first-hand accounts of the 8800 being used with the HAI as described.  Anyone here have any experience integrating the Aprilaire 8800 with the OPII?  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would be very surprised if a thermostat not sold by HAI worked with an HAI panel without lots of work.  Even if it worked, the danger is HAI would change firmware and it would break it.  If you have a HAI thermostat you know it will work.  The RC2000 is a pretty full-featured thermostat so unless you had a major reason NOT to use it, I would use that. 

HAI tech support is pretty responsive, so I would ask them directly to see what they say.  Unless they say definitly yes, I'd be carefull.

Thanks Ano for your insight and advice; I went ahead and picked up a couple of RC2000s for both the upstairs and downstairs systems.  At first sight I was taken aback at the size of the HAI stat, but I have to admit that it looks much better on the wall than expected.

I've currently got one RC2000 wired into the dead/dying system and the stat is resetting on me when it calls for AC.  I understand that wiring in a common from the HVAC transformer should solve that problem, so hopefully I'm all set for the new system install on Friday.

Yes, a common is good.  I now have 4 OmniStat2's.  They aren't the best in the world, but not the worst either.  They kind of grow on you over time.  What I don't like about them is they are typically several degrees off when you get them.  If you have several, take the time to calibrate them, and only do it when they are turned off.  When they are on they play a bit with the reported temp and will drive you crazy.

Back