[Articles] SmartHome announces OutletLinc: a dimmable dual-band INSTEON outlet

CT Droid

CT Bot
2472D_1.jpg
SmartHome just announced the OutletLinc, a dimmable dual-band INSTEON outlet (2474D). This is not just another appliance module. Every X10/UPB/Z-Wave/INSTEON outlet on the market has been a 'simple' relay, meaning you could only turn on/off devices. Some people get around this by installing a regular dimmable light switch, wired to a regular wall outlet. This is a very unsafe and illegal method (something many people don't realize). This outlet requires the use of a 'key', so you can't accidentally dim the wrong device (should someone plug in a different device without you knowing about it).

The OutletLinc also features tamper resistance, heat protection and load-sense (so you can turn the light on/off using the regular lamp switch). It is now available for pre-ordering (MSRP is $59.99), and will start shipping around 07/29/2011. Keep on reading for more info and pictures.

Available in white, light almond, almond, black, brown, gray and ivory.

View the full article

The module is now in the FCC Database.
The internal photos show a Magnetic Switch connected to the PCB.
The Users Manual show how to place the key device over the power plug of the lamp being controlled and says make sure the small magnet on it is facing down.

I still dont see how this can be considered safe.... I could still use the "Key" and plug in a motor or non dimmable load....

Well of course you can do many unsafe things with many items around your home, but the question is when do your actions become willfully negligent. And it seems to be pretty standard that if you are not following instructions, ignoring a warning label, and performing a conscious action (using the key) then you are. Feel free to test the legal basis though if you wish.

Well of course you can do many unsafe things with many items around your home, but the question is when do your actions become willfully negligent.

I think it's more a question of at which point is the manufacturer no longer liable.

Seems to me the amount of 'hoops' you'd have to jump through to screw things up would pretty much put the ball in the end users court.

Well of course you can do many unsafe things with many items around your home, but the question is when do your actions become willfully negligent. And it seems to be pretty standard that if you are not following instructions, ignoring a warning label, and performing a conscious action (using the key) then you are. Feel free to test the legal basis though if you wish.

I think it's more a question of at which point is the manufacturer no longer liable.

Seems to me the amount of 'hoops' you'd have to jump through to screw things up would pretty much put the ball in the end users court.

While I understand both points a simple magnet contact switch still does not seem safe.... that "key" could easily be taken off the lamp plug and put on a vacuum plug, by some one house sitting or cleaning people because it is a more convenient outlet. and with the load sense feature the local switch will still work, so any object being plugged automation is not needed....

One thing that would make me "feel" safer is if that was a one use key and it was damaged taking it off so it could not be put on another device.

A dab of superglue and it's attached to the lamp plug. Or leave the bottom outlet open. Otherwise if these kinds of risks are really a concern then don't install this outlet. Plenty of ways to mitigate risk. But nice to have the product option available rather than not.

Back