Asterisk Users Unite!

sic0048

I've talked about setting up an asterisk phone system for years and have finally begun setting up a system in my home. I plan on writing a "How To" at some point because I'm a total newbee when it comes to stuff like this and I rely on "How To" articles that are written in simple terms and clearly explained. Unfortunately, I find that all too often, either there are no simple "How To" out there, or they are woefully out of date. So I like to give back whenever I can. The good news is that setting an Asterisk system up isn't really that hard, nor is it expensive at all.

Personally I've installed PBX in a Flash (PIAF) which includes Asterisk 1.18, FreePBX, and also IncrediblePBX4.0. I use an Obi202 as my ATA phone adapter. Currently I have it all hooked up and working. I'm using a couple of IVR (interactive voice response) menus to allow people to leave a message for either my wife or myself, or even try to reach us by our cell phones (after which the system attempts to connect the call to our cell phones). Over all, just some basic stuff.

I still need to pick up a couple of IP phones and start putting them around the house. I'm really looking forward to having an intercom system via the phones when they are installed. Our house isn't huge, but it is just big enough that it would be nice to use the intercom to call the kids for dinner, or tell someone there is a phone call for them, etc., etc., etc..

I'd love to hear from others that are running an asterisk based system and what type of equipment you use and/or what type of functions you have built into the system. Basically, what cool things are you doing with your phones?

Thanks, I look forward to reading the comments.

I played with Asterisk and FreePBX for a little bit - running on a SheevaPlug. It was actually a pretty nice setup while it lasted, but the excessive disk writing was hell on SD cards and I didn't take the time to move it to a ram-disk. Instead I tossed it on 3CX on my HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server to buy me time.

I too though am working out how to handle the kids' rooms right now; I'm between either putting Grandstream phones in their rooms to use as intercoms, or putting Foscam's in their rooms - they have 2-way audio capabilities and can be SIP phone clients as well, so you can call the camera and talk through it to the kids in the room. This could couple with a softphone, handsets around the house, etc.

Later I also want to incorporate a Helios doorstation, but they're so expensive it's hard to justify right now.

The next thing I'll probably buy will also be a grandstream video phone for my home office. That way the doorstation can call me; I can call the kids' rooms, etc.

I also use SIP trunks for my home-office phone - dirt cheap and I have a few lines/numbers - I have fax working through a Linksys ATA and it's working great. I just put $25 in the account every few months.

I think a good how to with lot's of detail would be great. I rely on them a lot myself. As you say many are out of date. PIAF tries to make it easy but there are many versions of that too. I have recently installed PIAF and am still getting things set up. Nothing is really working yet. Have an Obi110 and want to include connection to the POTS line as well as SIP. I have considered writing up something too because as a newbie we see the need for details on things others may think is obvious.

Want to make an IVR to allow me to control things that gives me voice feedback like "garage light on" or some such so I can control a few things while I am away from the house. I have found a few examples that are close and shouldn't be too hard to extend.

Also want to make an IVR for my wife's small business. SAF points... :)

I have been there and done that, well before got bitten by the home automation bug... so will share my experience, actually what to avoid:
make sure that you test and put it in place only when everything is working upwards of 99%
I was too quick to put it in place and handful of calls did not go or came through, thus the confidence in the system was shattered. fast forward 2 years latter. I have only VOIP lines for more than year. A few days ago the internet went down, courtesy of c*mc*st, and my wife was still blaming the phone system. This time though no calls were lost as incoming calls got forwarded to cell phones and outgoing trunk is using a cell phone as failover.

Back