Attic RoR fire detector

lanbrown

I have an NX-8e panel and on zone 8 I tried to install a System Sensor 5602 fire/RoR detector.  I only have one and I ran the two wires from the panel (zone 8) to the 5602.  I put the red on one terminal and the black on the second terminal and then had the resistor also attached to the two terminals as well.  When I changed the zone type to type 8; the siren went off.  Could my problem be that I put the resistor across the two terminals on the System Sensor 5602?

From the manual:
https://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/5600_Series_Manual_I56-2175.pdf

It does look like they essentially have the the resistor across the terminals.

NX-8e manual:
https://static.interlogix.com/library/I-NX8E-IM%20Rev%20C%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

Zone type           Description
8.                        Fire Illuminates the Fire LED and sounds the temporal siren each time the zone is shorted. The Fire LED flashes rapidly indicating a problem if the zone is open.

Previously Zone 8 was used for a door/window sensor.  So All I did was update the zone from a type 6 to a type 8 and the panel and siren immediately went off.

The resistor that I used was a 680 (Gold Brown Gray Blue).

Any ideas?  Panel configuration issue?  Fire detector possibly bad?  Wrong fire detector being used?

I think your problem is that you are setting up as if it were a 2-wire smoke detector when it's not - it's a heat detector.  

Try using a 3.3K EOL resistor, and don't enable the zone for a 2-wire smoke detector.

Or maybe it needs to be a 3.74K EOL. The manual isn't exactly clear on this.

I'll give that a try.  Should I try the zone type of 24?

24. Manual fire Illuminates the Fire LED and sounds the temporal siren each time the zone is shorted. it also flashes (rapidly) the Fire LED, indicating a problem if the zone is open.

Or will that just cause the same symptom I had before?

If you choose zone type 24, then the EOL resistor should be 3.3K.  That should work ok.

It is in a back corner of the attic; so I might get over there this evening when it cools down a bit.

Thank you for the wealth of information and the quick replies.

I toughed it out since the extra light coming in from the vents helps a bit.  I put the resistor between the two terminals (so I just replaced the 680 with a 3.3k) and connected it back up.  I went back to the panel and removed the 3.3k resistor there (so the panel was happy with that unused zone) and connected the 5602 back up.  No alarms and then changed the zone type from 6 to 24 and I was ready to silence the alarm and the alarm never came.  So it appears happy with that sensor using a zone type of 24.  I was wondering what the different between the two were besides the addition of the word manual.  So now I know.

I'm planning on adding more and after this experience I think I will change the plans; might as well as add a second NX-216E expander and put them on separate zones.  Easier to troubleshoot if there is an issue and now I know which one it is.  I estimate that 8 should cover the attic.

Thank you for the assistance RAL.

Back