Attic temps

Our house is in Wisconsin and the attic is thoroughly vented. It has exceeded 120 degrees just once in two summers that I've monitored it.

Up here in Ottawa (Canada) my attic temps (at the peak of the roof) is about 55-60 C (130-140F) on sunny days. Outside temperature is not the real factor. Sun is the real killer. If you can shade the roof from the sun, the temperatures will drop. Trees don't grow fast enough!

That said, I am not so worried about summer time anyway (this summer has been cold & rainy) but winter time I just have to make sure the attic is vented to keep out the moisture (old house with no vapor barrier).

My attic was hovering around 0C (32F) during the winter which was not good. Now that I have ventilation, it is more like the average outside temp (-10C). No sun heating in the winter due to the snow.

Check out the video I found of that Icynene stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BwaABLvvlI

There will be no pulling wire thru those walls after the fact - planning would be key.

Conduits, Conduits, Conduits...and then you still will forget some stuff and you'll be screwed...at least wireless can help out in many cases..

I try to avoid pulling wire through outside walls because just dealing with fiberglass insulation is a PITA.

There is a good article somewhere about how attic temps are not the issue, but rather the radiated heat. This article stemmed from a attic ventilation fan discussion and it was stated that putting a fan in to reduce the attic temps had no benefit in cooling the house. If you want to cool the house, the use of foil etc. was a better solution. The only thing an attic fan did was cool the air in the attic - and if you are never in there then there is no point.

This was a few years ago that I read it, but a search on attic vent fans should find discussion on this subject.

Mick

Back