Audio Problem - Need Some Help

rachelc

A friend of mine owns a restaurant in which he is having some house audio problems.

As the diagram states, the music originates from an iPod in the basement, hits some type of signal splitter (I didn't see it) and splits off to two separate receivers. From each receiver, the left and right audio outputs go to a Radio Shack speaker selector, from which there are 6 outputs, and a speaker is connected to each.

According to him, this system used to work fine, but has recently began to decline in volume. Right now, when the iPod is playing, the volume must be turned up full to get even background music. When the receiver is put on an FM station, it works much, much better, but still not right (maybe because 50 ft of cable from the iPod to the receiver is being eliminated?).

The speakers are Boston Acoustics, most likely 8 ohm shelf speakers that are about 10 years old. Not being a stereo expert, I was wondering what is going on here, and how this could be remedied.

Any suggestions?

6h6lr4m.jpg

A friend of mine owns a restaurant in which he is having some house audio problems.

As the diagram states, the music originates from an iPod in the basement, hits some type of signal splitter (I didn't see it) and splits off to two separate receivers. From each receiver, the left and right audio outputs go to a Radio Shack speaker selector, from which there are 6 outputs, and a speaker is connected to each.

According to him, this system used to work fine, but has recently began to decline in volume. Right now, when the iPod is playing, the volume must be turned up full to get even background music. When the receiver is put on an FM station, it works much, much better, but still not right (maybe because 50 ft of cable from the iPod to the receiver is being eliminated?).

The speakers are Boston Acoustics, most likely 8 ohm shelf speakers that are about 10 years old. Not being a stereo expert, I was wondering what is going on here, and how this could be remedied.

Any suggestions?

6h6lr4m.jpg

Increase the volume output on the iPod.

You know... I thought about that AFTER the fact... after I had left. I am going to try this. I wouldn't be suprised if that's the problem. I'd feel stupid, but I wouldn't be surprised...

Thanks!

Hehe, I ran into a similar situation. I had installed a ABus system for a friend, and he did not have any sources ready yet, so I ran out and grabbed my Ipod to test the connections and speakers. Hooked it up and could hardly hear the music even after I cranked the ABus system up all the way. Spent about 2 hours checking connections, etc before it dawned on me the Ipod volume was like at 25%...the volume I use when I'm listening through the earbuds.

--Jamie

Back