Automated Homes in the Movies

ver0776

About the time I got my first computer in 1984 or 1985 I saw a movie where a deaf man programmed his computer with TTS to help him order pizza. His project grew until his home was fully automated and the house's AI become somewhat sentient and took over.

I would have to say this movie probably drove my desire to program AI, NLP and create home automation software more than any other. But I can't remember the name of it!!! I have searched the internet with no luck. Perhaps it was just an episode of some series like the Outer Limits.

So as I was doing research, I thought I would start to compile a list of movies and TV shows with automated homes. I figured it would be entertaining to look at these old sci-fi shows and see how much of it is possible with today's systems.

Please see my list so far in the next message. I am including the summaries of the shows, but I am only commenting on ones that I remember well. If you have seen ones that are on the list, please feel free to post a review of the HA system in the show. I will update the master list as stuff comes in.

Vaughn

House Hunting Mice (1948)
"In search of cheese, mice Hubie and Bertie wander into a demonstration "house of tomorrow" and battle with its automated convenience features, eventually driving the obsessive house-cleaning robot to resign his post."

Ma and Pa Kettle (1949)
"The Kettles and their fifteen children are about to be evicted from their rundown rustic home when Pa wins the grand prize by coming up with a new tobacco slogan. Birdie Hicks is jealous of the family's new wealth, which includes a completely automated modern home, and accuses Pa of stealing the slogan. Reporter Kim Parker proves Birdie wrong and marries Tom Kettle."

Mon oncle (1958)
"Monsieur Hulot's brother-in-law is the manager of a factory where plastics are manufactured. His nephew grows up in a house where everything is fully automated and the boy is raised in a similar fashion. To take away the influence of the uncle on his son, his brother-in-law gets Hulot a job in his factory."

A.D.A.M. (1973)
"Roger Empson builds a house for his disabled wife Jean that is completed automated and monitored by a computer called A.D.A.M. (Automated Domestic Appliance Monitor). But things take a nasty turn when A.D.A.M. starts to develop feelings towards Jean..."

Demon Seed (1977) (thanks Smee)
"A super computer succeeds in raping its creator's wife in order to recreate itself in a hybrid baby."

Smart House (1999) (thanks Smee)
Disney Channel Movie
Comments by VER0776: As much as I love automated homes, I could not get through the first half of this movie. The house was unrealistic even by science-fantasy standards. Once the replicator popped up and started throwing fruit all over the kitchen, I was done... It is a Disney movie, so I am not hating on it and can recommend it to 7 year olds and younger. =)

Eukera on Sci-Fi channel
Comments by VER0776: This show has a house automated to Sci-Fantasy levels, but most is still feasable these days, except for the AI and perfect voice recognition. It is also an adaptive system that learns preferences of different occupants. I recommend this series, although the house may not be featured after episode 2. (at least it was not in episode 3)

Don't forget Robie the Robot and the house he 'managed' on Altair 5, in the '50 cult hit "Forbidden Planet". Who wouldn't mind playing house with Anne Francis, NOW THAT's automation!

Back