Automatically capture screen image

jeffx

Is there software or a scripting method available that will take a screen capture at regular intervals and save the image in a compressed file format like jpg or gif?

I always have Diginet up in full screen and would like to be able to save a screen capture image so I can access a current still shot of my surveillance cameras from my cell phone.

I know of a product called SnagIt, which is a professional screen capture package. Sells for about $40. I believe it'll do what you want, but it does a lot more than just capture screen images, too. The educators and technical manual writers where I've worked in the past used to use it for training courses, CBTs and equipment manuals. We used it for tutorials for custom PC instructions we used to publish in IT, too.

http://www.snagit.com

Snagit will definitely do the job, I actually purchased that software because it can automatically upload the file to an ftp server, or even an SSH server. If the Digi software isn't DirectX based, then you can probably use any of the freeware tools out there as well, and use the Windows scheduler to execute the job. I probably have something in my tools directory if you can confirm if the Digi software will work with regular screenshot software. Here is afreebie I use as well:

http://www.bcheck.net/apps/#purrint

And supports command line options.

Jeff,

I cant remember for certain, but if you are using PowerHome, then this is built-in and accessible using the ph_savedesktopimage function.

If you're not using PowerHome then just ignore this :D

Dave.

That one looks good e. You can even have it run every n seconds without the Windows scheduler.

Dave - I thought I saw that function before, but I couldn't find it before! :D

Irfanview does exactly what you want - and its free.
http://www.irfanview.com/

I didnt know that it could do it, but Irfanview is so powerful that after reading the question I decided to check. You set the time interval, format and destination, and it will save the files as required. You can save the full desktop of the client window only. It works.

I know that it also has command line option for screen capture, but I havent tested it.

electron said:
Snagit will definitely do the job, I actually purchased that software because it can automatically upload the file to an ftp server, or even an SSH server. If the Digi software isn't DirectX based, then you can probably use any of the freeware tools out there as well, and use the Windows scheduler to execute the job. I probably have something in my tools directory if you can confirm if the Digi software will work with regular screenshot software. Here is afreebie I use as well:

http://www.bcheck.net/apps/#purrint

And supports command line options.
Something like purrint is exactly what I was looking for. It will fire off regular screen shots an save them as an image file or you can invoke this action from a script on-demand, all with no popups. I'll have to test if it works with Diginet when I get home tonight and post the results. Thanks!

I have a program called "Printkey2000" that does that... it also adds lots of functionality to the "print screen" key that is rarely used on your keyboard

a quick search on Google shows that it's still free and still less than 1Mb

stereo_freak said:
I have a program called "Printkey2000" that does that... it also adds lots of functionality to the "print screen" key that is rarely used on your keyboard

a quick search on Google shows that it's still free and still less than 1Mb
I tried PrintKey, but it always pops up a message when capturing/saving which I didn't like. It was also tricky to kick off from a script, so I was using winbatch to sendkeys, which was a "messier" solution than I wanted.

Jeffx-
Let me know how this works with the Diginet software, I would like to also have pics sent to my phone.

Steve

I took one more stab at this and found a solution! You can capture and save regular screen images of Diginet WebDVR in non-activeX mode! I was unable to get this to work before because I was trying to capture WebDVR in ActiveX mode.

Using Purrint, you can capture screen shots of Diginet WebDVR at regular intervals (or on demand with a script command) and save them to a specified location with sequenced file names (i.e. Diginet001.jpg, Diginet002.jpt, etc.).

This should help anyone (like me) better integrate Diginet with HA software that can only work with jpg captures.

;)

Back