Aux Power Supply - Picture is worth a 1,000 words

TurboSam said:
Thanks, Mike and RAL.

So let me take it one step farther (logically if not electrically) -- though I'm not sure I would ever do this.

Since the Elk negative will be bonded to the Altronix negative (as per the many threads here), do I even to bring a common over from the Altronix?  

I think I read in another thread that all the Elk negatives (for zones and power) shared a common negative, and IF that is the case, would it be possible or advisable just to bring the 4 positives over and tie the power negatives for these 4 zones to the Elk zone negatives (since the Elk negative is bonded to the Altronix)?

I'm not sure I follow you when you say "zone negatives."  Do you mean the wire from a zone contact that would go to a zone NEG terminal on the M1 or a zone expander?  

Using a single negative wire from the Altronix to the Elk for power return as well as connecting it to the M1 NEG to establish a common ground is fine.  My preference would be to connect the negative power terminals of all the devices that are drawing power from the Altronix directly to that one negative wire, rather than connecting them indirectly through negative terminals on the M1.

A simple way would be to use a wire nut to connect the negative wire from the Altronix to 4 pigtails that go to each of the 4 devices you need to power, plus a 5th pigtail that connects to the M1 NEG terminal.

Thanks for the kind words.  I've learned a lot from all the folks who post on Cocoontech and just try to return the favor.

Back