Barometer Placement...

KBevo

The documentation for the Barometer states that it should be installed "indoors away from direct sunlight". I was thinking about placing it in my attic near where the rest of weather devices are located outside (daisy chained). However I am concerned about the high summer tempertures in the attic. What are the temp maximums for the Barameter (in the HB case)? Are there any other operational reasons why the attic may not be a good location?

Thanks
Gary

Gary,

That should work but if there is anyway to put it somewhere other than your attic it would probably be better. While everything on the board is rated for temperatures that high electronics always like cooler better.

Eric

ericvic said:
That should work but if there is anyway to put it somewhere other than your attic it would probably be better...
Well about the only other (cool) alternative would be to place it in the house in my wiring closet. Are the readings going to be ok in a place like that or would the attic be better?

Gary

Gary,

Inside the wiring closet should be fine. A normal house is going to be very close to the outside pressure. Otherwise when you opened your front door there would be a rush of wind trying to equalize the pressure differential (like what happens in some big commercial buildings).

Eric

ericvic said:
...A normal house is going to be very close to the outside pressure...
A notable exception to that notion is if you have a chimney in use (for a fireplace, furnace, etc). In most cases, this will cause your house will actually have a slightly negative pressure in relation to the outside due to the draft of air towards the outside. Ideally any such installation would have a "makeup air" source equalizing the pressures but in most homes, this is not done. This means that your barometer readings might be a bit lower then what they should be when the chimney is in use.

Guy Lavoie said:
ericvic said:
...A normal house is going to be very close to the outside pressure...
A notable exception to that notion is if you have a chimney in use...
Interesting! About 12 months ago, when we were finalizing the plans for our new house we had them remove the fireplace. They gave us a lot of flack over that and actually had to PAY THEM ($1.00) to do so. So, no chimney to affect the pressure. Thanks for the enlightenment Guy.

Gary

Back