Best App for ELK M1

nmcbride

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a new M1 system and am looking around at different Android apps (namely Elkdroid and myKeypad). It looks like Elkdroid has stopped developing so I'm hesitant to go that way. I've tried the myKeypad app but continue to get the "error configuring panel" message when I try to connect. Any suggestions? I'd like to try ekeypad but it looks like it is available for iOS only, and all of my devices are Android.

Nathan

Maybe see if you could get an older version to try. I've heard of connection issues with it before so I've never upgraded from an earlier version that covers my needs. Actually, I'm only using the app to trigger a task to open/close my garage door - I've moved to a Vera app instead (Vera's plugin will soon cover tasks as well.) I will keep this app installed as a backup though incase I have an issue with my Vera unit. One thing I don't like about it is it always wants to stay running in the background (it should be an option) causing me to have to kill it.

Unfortunately, it seems the creator of ElkDroid has abandoned the project. The only other Elk product available seems to by MyKeypad. It seems like it's being kept up, so perhaps contact the developer about your connection problems.

eKeypad is a great app, but as you've noticed, it's only available for iOS.

Another option, though less enticing, is to consider another HA app - I'm not sure which ones support Android for mobile apps, but CQC, HomeSeer, Elve, Premise, and others - tend to have mobile options and can generally talk to an Elk. The problem for some people is the need for a backend server to communicate with and it talks to everything else. The advantage however is infinite flexibility.

HI guys, thanks for the updates. I've contacted the developer and he did get back to me asking me to send him a log from the app. So we'll see how that goes. I work for Absolute Automation which is just getting into becoming an ELK distributor, so I'm really hoping to have a "WOW" factor app on my tablet that I can show people at our store and allow customers to control a few basic functions from the app. I think that'll really help to sell these systems.

Definitely consider adding an iPad to your display portfolio - the eKeypad app is pretty nice and the Blueprint screens make for a very impressive control screen. The developer also supports custom branding with your business logo for an extra touch of professionalism. Not to mention the plethora of nice looking wall mounts (permanent and removable) that help put the tablets right where you need them.

That sounds excellent. Do you know if the developer has or is considering an Android app? I've noticed the wall mounts for the iPad, Android tablets will likely never have the same plethora of options due to the variations in sizes, dimensions etc.

I think Jayson has discussed an Android version, but for now he's been sticking with iOS. He's very much an Apple guy, and as you said, iPad is where all the mounts are at. I think the iOS app is way more mature because Jayson works closely with Elk and he keeps the updates coming regularly. I bought the very first version and I still see updates very often with new features rolling in constantly.

myKeypad (free trial) and myKeyPadPro (paid version) do work well. The developer is very helpful and dedicated to improving the product. It's the answer for the Android world.

I got myKeypad to work after removing the required password (using PIN only). In addition, the DRM in the Pro version failed to recognize my new license for 24 hours after the purchase. Very annoying. Besides that, the application works very well.

Back