What are my options for Keypads for an Elk M1?

Someguy

I am installing a new ELK M1 system where my old GE Networx system was. i'm using all of the old wires. I want the keypad to look as modern as possible. is there a way to put a really nice keypad in place of my old dinosaurs.

there appear to be three supported keypads for the M1. the touchscreen is clearly the nicest looking.

1) can anyone vouch for that one being a good and nice option? i cannot find any videos of what it looks like installed in a home to look at it's profile.

2) does anyone have any better suggestions?

3) I see in the Elk catalog that the ELK-7TS supposedly works with the M1 but I'd like confirmation of that and to see what it looks like. and holy crap! it looks like it is over a thousand bucks?!?

(this is my first post here, I appreciate any help and comments.)

I went with 3 Navigator touchscreen keypads, simply because I liked the look. However, there are 2 issues that I had not anticipated:
1) The Navigator keypad is smaller than I imagined. So it is easy to fat-finger the keys, and the text is small. That is a little annoying. ELK is developing the newer and larger ELK-7TS touchscreen for the E27 panel, and it is supposedly compatible with the M1G panel, but I don't think it is available yet.
2) Also, the Navigator does not mount on the vertical single-gang box that I had used for my Caddx keypads. So I bought a double-gang plate - the ones from Leviton that snap together - modified it a bit, mounted the keypad to that - so now the keypad snaps on via the Leviton wall plate. I think it looks great and simply looks like a backing plate that was intended for the keypad. I like that it can be snapped off to get to the wires.

The other options are the hard-button keypads like the green-backlit M1KP (I have one next to my panel) and the blue ones. I just like green over blue, but otherwise, I think they all function identically. However, the Navigator has many more features, like access to home automation stuff, logs, etc. I rarely use that stuff, but nice to have.

All that said, I would still buy the touchscreen today over the traditional hard-button keypads simply because I like the look of a touchscreen much better. If I win Lotto, I will upgrade to the 7" touchscreens when they come out.

Have 3 of the touch screens and am happy with them, need several more but I'm waiting on the new bigger model before purchasing anymore.

I used the KP2s with the inwall flush mount box and speaker in the box. It gives a clean look.
Its mainly a keypad to turn the alarm on and off. If I want to do something with the system I'll use ElkRP.

Heck, the KPAS will turn the alarm on and off and it fits in a 1gang box, but it doesn't have any display so if the system isn't ready you don't know what's violated. Was thinking of putting those in spots where I might enter the house just occasionally and need to turn off the alarm, but haven't had the need.

I found a Canadian vendor that lists the ELK-7TS for $419 Canadian, and they seem to be taking pre-orders. So maybe that gives us an idea on cost.
This is interesting, it's actually cheaper than the smaller control pad. Guessing that price might be adjusted when they become available. After reading the limited description provided it's a bit lacking in what I was hoping for. May get one thou to test out, sounds like it becomes an ethernet device versus a bus device.

The new 7 inch looks promising! Waiting to see what features/customizability is possible with it being essentially a touchpad with Elk Connect installed in it.
Best part is that the same product is for both product lines, so keeps manufacturing costs lower than two separate SKU#s.

Reminds me of the Touch Tuxedo that came out for the Residio Vista series of alarm panels.

I see that the ELK-7TS connects via WiFi. I wonder what the implications of that are when installing a new system. I have always used the traditional keypads to initially configure a M1 system, then added a M1XEP and used ElkRP2 for the rest of the configuration. With the 7TS, how would you do the initial configuration after powering on the M1 controller for the first time? Can you use a m1XEP starting immediately at first power on, or?

I also now see there is a new Elk controller, E27. I will have to read up on that. Since I use a Universal Devices EISY hub for all my non-security automation, not yet clear if I should stay with M1 for a new security system install, or move to the E27. Lots to catch up on.

I see that the ELK-7TS connects via WiFi. I wonder what the implications of that are when installing a new system. I have always used the traditional keypads to initially configure a M1 system, then added a M1XEP and used ElkRP2 for the rest of the configuration. With the 7TS, how would you do the initial configuration after powering on the M1 controller for the first time? Can you use a m1XEP starting immediately at first power on, or?

I also now see there is a new Elk controller, E27. I will have to read up on that. Since I use a Universal Devices EISY hub for all my non-security automation, not yet clear if I should stay with M1 for a new security system install, or move to the E27. Lots to catch up on.
Elk Products does not have the E27 available for the DIY market and has repeatedly stated it's not a replacement for the M1 series.

Yes, it's confusing. If you are having the system installed by a Elk Products professional, then the E27 is compelling. That licensed dealer is the only one that can activate an account for you. If you intend to self-install and wish ongoing DIY support from Elk Products, then you would select the M1 at this time.

Back