Best Elk support: ElkRM, CQC or MainLobby?

MainLobby supports web based IP cameras thru our WebLobby product, as well as a local USB camera for viewing in MainLobby 3 client (native support in MainLobby3 client), and we have the "MLMediaStream" application which is a full streaming video solution including control over a PC tuner card. We also support JPEG refresh (not really steaming) for display in MainLobby3 Client. I can't think of a camera situation that isn't supported. If I haven't covered all normal modes, post what they are and I'll figure out how we handle that (if we can or not).

Sounds good. What's the state of video support is CQC?

Laurent

You mentioned you know about the browser based stuff. JPEG refresh via web pages is easy enough (just build a 1line HTML page pointed at the JPEG with a refresh command on it).

I don't personally do any non-CCTV video rendering on a CQC screen as I don't need it, but search on video intercoms in the CQC forum to see how others are handling it.

The interesting thing is that although there's probably a gazillion feature requests every week, there's some seriously massive and complex installs far beyond anything i've ever even heard of elsewhere, and an inability to do the video streaming folks want is almost never mentioned. I dunno why, if that's cuz it's "good enough" or what, but it is interesting...

MainLobby supports web based IP cameras thru our WebLobby product, as well as a local USB camera for viewing in MainLobby 3 client (native support in MainLobby3 client), and we have the "MLMediaStream" application which is a full streaming video solution including control over a PC tuner card. We also support JPEG refresh (not really steaming) for display in MainLobby3 Client. I can't think of a camera situation that isn't supported. If I haven't covered all normal modes, post what they are and I'll figure out how we handle that (if we can or not).

Sounds good. What's the state of video support is CQC?

Laurent

With CQC you would either use the browser widget (which is based on the IE engine) or you would have to do it through an outside app controlled via CQC, I think there are a few that drivers exist for, but I don't do anything like that. I would say the browser widget is your best bet, you would just need a DVR or IP cams with web interfaces.

I would probably try to avoid doing something like that over RDP with video involved, it would probably be pretty choppy. Motion with RDP really depends on the CPU horsepower on the client and server.

I did start searching on those IEI panels PC's. They're pretty nice. I found one site that mentioned you can install XP Home/Pro, or XP embedded on them, so given that choice I would just do XP and forget RDP. I have a stigma about embedding devices in a wall that weren't made for that. I am pretty sure there are code violations if you just mount it right into the wall. But there is probably a way to make it work and still pass code. On the other hand The Elk-TS07 and IPTouch are made to go in wall.

And wasn't there talk of a possible 12" Elk Touchscreen in the future? I can't seem to find that reference. Maybe I dreamed it up... :)

I have done both WEB Widget and Custom App over the top of CQC for cameras. The biggest issue I have come across is with selective DVR that use ActiveX you are sometimes stuck with the web interface that they display, were as I like to take the ActiveX control and build a custom web page that is hosted by CQC to display what I want and how I want in the WEB Widget. Another issue with ActiveX controls they can be a resource pig on both CPU and Network. I have only tested about 5 different Brands and only found one that I like so far.

I have only tested about 5 different Brands and only found one that I like so far.

Would you share which one that was?

Thanks in advance.

Laurent
Here is some information on them http://www.kanak.com/CCTV.asp. And here are some screen shots with CQC in a Web Widget
CCTV%20Multiple.png

CCTV%20Single.png

I can also make that happen with Geovision, Avermedia and a few others.

It's not so easy as once you find one or figure it out you kinda try to stick to it.

Back