Best low cost route for multiple TVs in house? Cable/Sat?

Yup; here is what an unobtrusive fiber connection reasonably priced gets you in Norway.

My Isp just upgraded the speed for up/down from 60/60 to 75/75 Free of charge.

Someting with Residential demand???

But im not crying

Mr.P

FlyingDiver said:
I don't know of any service which uploads recorded content, from a local tuner, to a cloud server.  Do you?  simple.tv has cloud management of a local tuner with a local disk drive attached, but that's still a $200+ device, not including the USB drive needed.  Aereo was a cloud service, but it got shut down by lawsuit.
Aereo was the one I was thinking of.  Because of it, I thought that maybe there were others too.  Perhaps not.  I didn't know Aereo had suspended their service.  It would have been nice if I could have "tuned" into stations not otherwise available locally.

I've been using a refurbished SiliconDust tuner that I bought for $25 from New Egg after XMas last year.  Works great.  I haven't looked into cloud storage space, but if it's cheap (?), I'd consider streaming the recordings to there for storage rather than to local hard drives.  I finally have enough internet bandwidth that I don't think I would notice a drop in internet performance by doing so.

Here I am impressed with the 720/1080 streaming from the cloud (using CC ISP). 

That said I still record stuff with the MythTV box using multiple Silicon Dust Tuners.

I am looking now at adding AT&T Uverse to the mix on the PFSense box to do some load balancing and or failover.

We've been using a HTPC for almost a year now. Its a Windows 7 Pro machine (don't use win 8 for HTPC) and uses a Ceton pcie 6 channel runner. We have Cetons echo extenders also and they have been running with little to no problems.

If you choose the windows media center route, for sure get to know other forms such as "the green button" & others. If you need them all ask and I'll post back.

We have hundreds of movies on our server and utilize many other software to take our experice further.

One that comes to mind is Media Browser. We currently run MB2, but am looking at MB3 which was a total make over. On the HTPC you run the server software and it can distribute feed to clients attached to each TV. They have a Roku app which makes install easy and cheap but I haven't tried MB3.

Pete also turned me onto some aopen engine computers that cost $50 or less, have HDMI output, and are very small allowing you to velcrow them to the back of a tv.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for u.

Back