Best way to do speaker switching?

Sendero

I'm trying to figure out the best (and hopefully inexpensive) way in which to re-use my existing in-ceiling speakers for broadcasting both CQC & Elk announcements. My current system consists solely of Sonos players for each zone.

At first, I was thinking I'd get a basic RS-232 controllable receiver into which my ELK & CQC outputs are run and also use that receiver for switching the inputs. The problem is that I have 3 zone players and need them to stay independent. I don't think having 3 receivers is the right answer. Are there RS-232 controllable speaker switches? Is there an easy way to 'switch' to an announce mode on all speakers and then switch them back to their specific Sonos?

Also, in the ELK, I'm assuming its possible to do an action before a announcement is going to be made. How do I write a rule for that?

You might want to look into using the on-board double throw relay on the Elk to switch between the two sources. To do this though you need to convert the sound output of the Elk to a pre-amp level. This does have some problems, but their are work arounds.

Take a look at my thread HERE.

This is pretty inexpensive. Since the Elk mode is defaulted you only have to write CQC code before and after each announcement from it to switch the relay, then switch it back to it's default position after the announcement is made.

Also, do you need to control volume individually to each zone? If not why not just use a double throw relay connected to an Elk output for a cheap speaker switch? You would have to put the same resistance as your speaker on the other pole so the volume will remain the same (independent of how many speakers are actually switched on).

Maybe this will spark other ideas from our membership. Mine is not optimal, but it is cheap...errrr inexpensive! ;)

On the ELK M1 you can switch the speakers when the OUTPUT 1 audio amp turns ON:

WHENEVER AUDIO AMP STATUS TURNS ON
THEN Speaker Switch (Out 3) ON

WHENEVER AUDIO AMP STATUS TURNS OFF
THEN Speaker Switch (Out 3) OFF

For RS-232 ASCII TEXT switching, set up a TEXT string "Turn ON Speaker" or any other text string and write a received text RULE to switch the speakers on receipt of the text string:

WHENEVER THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS RECEIVED: "Turn ON Speaker" THROUGH PORT 0
THEN Speaker Switch (Out 3) ON

Do a similiar Rule to turn off the speaker output.

Remember you have to include a carriage return at the end of the string that you send to the M1 to mark the end of the text string.

Sendero said:
Are there RS-232 controllable speaker switches? Is there an easy way to 'switch' to an announce mode on all speakers and then switch them back to their specific Sonos?
To first answer directly - yes, there is at least this product, but you should be able to replicate all of it yourself with relays and the Elk.

I just built a line level converter box to use with Elk, CQC and the Nuvo Grand Concerto. The box works well but does have the 'pop' that BSR alludes to in his post, but it can be pretty much eliminated with tweaking of volume levels.

Spanky's rules do work, but depending what you use to do the switching you may need to add a delay. The Elk speaks almost immediately after detecting the audio amp is on. You can add a 500ms delay to each of the vocabulary words if needed. Also, to control it via CQC another idea besides the text rules is to simply have CQC toggle phantom outputs as triggers. That's most likely the way I'm going to handle it when its all complete.

I haven't fully mapped out all you have, but I think the ClearOne AP800 is an excellent 12 X 12 line-level switch/mixer. These cost about $5000 new, but through the power of e-Bay, and a new model, they go for about $200 or under. There isn't anything it can't do with some simple RS-232 commands. It also has HW inputs and outputs to do even more. This is a popular switch for the Homeseer group, but commands are simple enough that an ELK or HAI could control it as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I plan to look into all of these more, but I did realize I have another question/issue: If I convert the elk output to line in, I need to get an external amp that takes the one input and puts it out over 3 outputs, right?

In total, I'd like the announcements to use the 3 ceiling speakers + 1 additional compact echo speaker.

I like the idea of using ELK relays to do it all, just trying to now ID what other equipment I need to get.

Sendero said:
If I convert the elk output to line in, I need to get an external amp that takes the one input and puts it out over 3 outputs, right?
Yes, look at the schematic in my above post. Also, look over the spec sheet on that Elk 800 amp. I believe it can drive as little as two ohms (not sure so check).

I have 8 zones I drive with my AP800. Each zone uses a small ELK amp which I mounted next to each speaker. This ELK amp has a differential input so it works great with the AP800. From each amp back to the AP800 I run shielded cable with 2 center conductors, and two leads for power. The ELK amps are very easy here, AC or DC, it doesn't matter. Others I know mount their amps all together then just run speaker cord to each speaker.

For just three speakers, you could use one amp and relays, but the volume will change depending on how many speakers are active. When you get a larger number of speakers like I have, it would be hard to control the impedance correctly just using relays. I use the same AP800 to also connect to several mics which I use for voice recognition. (Actually bought the AP800 for the mics, but now us it more to control the speakers.)

Back