Best Way To Label Dimmers

Hey Fellow upb / z-wave / insteon users . What is the best way to label my multigang dimmers/relay switches ? I am planning on using upb on about 20 locations to start. 10 are to control outside lights installed in (2) 3 gang boxes and (1) 4 gang box, The others will be interior applications from single gang to four gang in the most used areas first , then if all goes well I'll be installing more devices. I have used the p-touch labels above the switch in the past but the are hard to line up straight and tend to collect dirt . I saw the engraved plates from smarthome but I am not going with Insteon. I am looking for something similar to use with SA UPB devices in white. What do the pros use ? How about The diy guys?

About 8 months back I was working on a large residential project and ran into this same issue! Search engines gave me two possible options and one was lumenid. The other was www.rightplate.com

I found Rightplate to be superior for several reasons. First their website is great. It allows you to see your finished product with real time updated plate previews. Second, the fonts that they offer are much more subtle and really look sharp. Lastly, PRICE. Rightplate has a nice contractor discount if you sign up which makes there product half the cost of Lumen. Great idea by both companies. I suggest giving it a try!

FYI, laser engraving shops are popping up everywhere, but, it looks like Right Plate has great pricing.

About 8 months back I was working on a large residential project and ran into this same issue! Search engines gave me two possible options and one was lumenid. The other was www.rightplate.com

I found Rightplate to be superior for several reasons. First their website is great. It allows you to see your finished product with real time updated plate previews. Second, the fonts that they offer are much more subtle and really look sharp. Lastly, PRICE. Rightplate has a nice contractor discount if you sign up which makes there product half the cost of Lumen. Great idea by both companies. I suggest giving it a try!

I just checked out the site...Looks like a nice solution.

:) Thanks for the responses. I looked at the the two recommended sites and I also have applied and received my contractor account from www.rightplate.com . Tonight I will be placing my first order and I will let you guys and gals know how it goes.

Well here is an update. I logged on to the rightplate site and ordered my 3 plates on the 17th (thurs)and it took me about 15 minutes. I probably could have created the plates in a couple of minutes but I wanted my better half to pick which style and color font to use. I already knew how many gang in white in the the rocker style . I got my package in a USPS priority mail box on 22nd (tues). They are made of unbreakable plastic and very nicely engraved . We chose the "classic" font in "bronze" "medium size". I did not install them until tonight because I was going to wait until I replaced my smarthome devices for upb but at my wifes urging I put them on the old switches. They look Fantastic and she loves them. Will order more in the near future. Now my mission is updating to upb.

This looks pretty interesting. Is the idea to label all lights or just lights in a multi gang switch. For example, in my sons room, there is one switch, I assume theres no need for a label. At the front door, I have a 3 gang (though one is an insteon keylinc - which this wont help).

I used them on multigangs but you could use them for any switch you want or need to identify .I found it very useful for the outside lights and I will be ordering plates for the "public" rooms of my house next , some are single switches.What a huge difference from the p-touch labels . As far as using it with an Insteon keypad you could label that for what type of overall application you use your keypad for . What are you useing the Insteon keypad to control ?

RichTJ99 , After thinking about it again I returned to rightplates site and made some test samples. If you pick rocker type as your plate style and when you get to step 4 engraving click on the down arrow next to the switch, it gives you five different choices .I picked the quad switch and then clicked the down arrow again , it gives you 10 locations to engrave a quad switch :) ! I made a test sample and it cost the same as 1 engraving per switch , so they must charge per opening in the plate.

Back