Best Way to Push Camera Video to a n Echo Show?

upstatemike

I know you can ask Alexa to show IP cameras on demand but I am looking for the best way to have camera video pushed to a set of Echo Shows whenever motion is detected. I believe the Ring doorbells will push video when you press the doorbell button so there is the option to use doorbells just as cameras and wire a motion sensor across the doorbell button to trigger it but I was hoping there is a nicer solution. Maybe an Alexa routine can utilize camera motion as a trigger and set some Echo Shows to display the video? Anybody doing this somehow?

I do this with Home Assistant and Alexa media plugin and Monocle plugin and ONVIF ==> MQTT plugin.     

With the Alexa media plugin you can do this with specific Amazon Show devices or all of them at once.  

Note relating to the Hikvision Video Doorbell that only motion is sent out via ONVIF. 

For the doorbell ring I utilize a zone defined on the alarm panel via the combo Elk 930/960 boards.    

I currently am running two instances of Home Assistant (regular and HASSIO).  HASSIO is a bit easier to work with rather than manual adds with HA.

You can do this with HomeSeer using Node Red and mcsMQTT or Homeseer mcsMQTT and Home Assistant using MQTT.

Alexia app, Add Routine, in the Routine, Add Action, Custom, Type the same words you say to display the camera you want.

Yes I use it. When there is motion at each ring camera, it displays on our kitchen show. There is a built-in action that says there is motion at the camera, but for some reason it doesn't automatically display it. I wish it would mute the sound, though, and it seems to display a long time. I need to work on shutting it off after a period of time, and muting it.

pete_c said:
I do this with Home Assistant and Alexa media plugin and Monocle plugin and ONVIF ==> MQTT plugin.     

With the Alexa media plugin you can do this with specific Amazon Show devices or all of them at once.  

Note relating to the Hikvision Video Doorbell that only motion is sent out via ONVIF. 

For the doorbell ring I utilize a zone defined on the alarm panel via the combo Elk 930/960 boards.    

I currently am running two instances of Home Assistant (regular and HASSIO).  HASSIO is a bit easier to work with rather than manual adds with HA.

You can do this with HomeSeer using Node Red and mcsMQTT or Homeseer mcsMQTT and Home Assistant using MQTT.

Is Monocle down for you?

I just tried it, as it's been intermittent here recently.  Alexa said there was a problem and to disable and enable the skill, on trying to re-enable my monocle login was not recognized.  Going to the monocle web pages would not allow login either, and the forums seem to be completely offline.

Anyone heard anything recently?

Noticed same here.

Seeing the following when going to the forum.

This site can’t be reached
forum.monoclecam.com refused to connect.

That’s too bad. It’s been working fairly well for months. I was avoiding setting up the alternative local services, as monocle was running. But maybe have to bite the bullet and do one of the other options. 

forum.monoclecam.com 

is up this morning.

And the Alexa Monoclecam app is working fine.

Wonder what happened?

Thanks for posting up!  Yes, login is working again for me.  My cameras aren't working with Alexa though.  I wonder if there was an Amazon update that changed video support for some stream types.  Not sure, as it stopped working a while ago.  I finally went to debug and found the account login down as well.

My cameras aren't working with Alexa though.  I wonder if there was an Amazon update that changed video support for some stream types.  Not sure, as it stopped working a while ago.  I finally went to debug and found the account login down as well.

The Alexa Media app has been causing me to reset the Amazon login password about twice a week lately.  This is also happening with the Ring to MQTT app.  I have not looked at or checked the Monocle login stuff in many many months here. Forgot which computer that it is running on.  

Just tested the Alexa Show "show front door cam" and three test camera boards to be working fine.

Working on a trigger with the Alexa Media app to auto pop up front door cam on motion or doorbell ring.  I wrote about this a few weeks ago and how easy it was to do.

Not totally sure how to install the following in Home Assistant.  Do you have any ideas on getting this working.

Here is an example:

- alias: Triggering a skill
initial_state: "on"
trigger:
platform: state
entity_id: input_boolean.show_frontdoor_cam
to: "on"

action:
- service: media_player.play_media
data:
entity_id: media_player.my_echo_dot
media_content_id: <Skill ID>*
media_content_type: skill

* monocle skill ID => B079P7DZ4D

I see some recent discussion on the monocle forum about a few others have trouble with video no longer working. Some DNS related, some maybe Alexa stream related. 

That would be handy.  I don’t know how to set that up in Home Assistant either, but would like to. I have it running to bridge Omni/Lumina devices to Siri, but have very little else setup.

Back