Best way to start up new Elk system?

PHJ424

I have an Elk M1 and have been pulling station wire and installing sensors for a week or so now.

My question: What is your suggestions for a person familiar with electronics and some programming to do when installing an Elk for the first time. My system will consist of 3 KP keypads, 8 of them 32 ohm speakers on the Out 2, 4 expander boards, the 2G wireless receiver, Data Bus Hub you home run all the Cat5 to, Ethernet expander and a serial expander I will use for GSM dialing and another Elk 4 amp power supply and a second battery.

I am installing this in a 50" structured cabinet.

My thoughts are to install the Elk and batteries and wire the first 16 zones, one keypad and a few of the speakers.

I have the RP software on the laptop and will have to see if this works with my USB to 232 converter from Radio Shack.

Any input is appreciated and would you dive into RP right away or try the menu on the KP?

Thanks in advance

If you want the voice prompts, you need to use output 1. Otherwise you will only get a siren on alarm with output 2. Output 1 will give you voice prompts, voice alarm, and siren sounds. You can put an 8 ohm larger speaker in an eve to alert your neighbors when the alarm activates. Maybe you will want to delay output2 in the case you set off the alarm by accident and disarm it before output 2 turns on.

Real men keypad program, but smart men use ELKRP and a PC. :D

Installers like keypad programming because they can make changes without dragging out the PC. As the homeowner, ELKRP is vastly easier. I venture into keypad programming on occasion to look at a setting, but I always do major programming with ELKRP.

It is a good approach to get a few of the zone on the M1 control working first, then start expanding the zones.

If you are running wire to remote input expanders, pay attention to the voltage at the remote input expander. I have seen installations where the voltage at the remote input expander was marginally above the shutdown voltage and the expander would drop off the network if the voltage dropped below the shutdown point. If using CAT5 wire, double up on the power wires.

My bad I meant Out 1 for the speakers.

Looks like Im going with RP to start off and see how the connection will make. The only thing I have connected to with the usb 232 adapter to is my Motorola 6811 on an EVBU board using Buffalo.

When I go to connect in RP does the Elk have to be powered up and connected to the convertor in order to see it on com5 where my converter is directed to go with the driver software its like this when using hyperterminal and connected to the EVBU 6811.

All of the expander boards will be either in the structured cabinet or in another one right next door if I think it will be too crowded in there.

Thanks for the input

Back