Better W800 Antenna?

Rupp said
QUOTE (jlehnert @ Apr 11 2005, 08:00 PM)
If you have an outside TV antenna, you can hook it to the W800. I did it and I get 500+ ft. reliably. 

Seriously?

Sorry, I've been away from the board for a few days. Yes, it does work.

That just shows you that the whole antenna thing is only half science and half luck.

As BSR stated, there is a LOT of science behind a good antenna design. However, a general rule of thumb is the higher and larger an antenna gets, the better off you are. A poorly designed (or designed for the wrong frequency) antenna that is 30 ft. up on top of a house will beat the daylights out of a correctly designed antenna at ground level.

Since I finally twisted the cable comapnies arm enough to get them to do a install, I no longer use the rooftop antenna for TV. Now it serves two AM/FM tuners, the W800, and an Oregon Scientific WeatherRadio. I can walk out to the end of my land with a palmpad and flip the floodlights on/off through 400 ft. of heavy woods. Go the other way out to the road and I get around 600 ft over the open lawn.

What do you do to protect those systems from lightening?

Prayer. ;)

Seriously, the antenna is properly grounded, but if I take a really close or direct hit, the equipment is toast. The HAM radio antenna(s) are disconnected outside the house when not in use, but the coax to the tv antenna goes up through the middle of the house. I might move the antenna into the attic someday, and that would take care of the problem.

(JeffCharger @ Apr 12 2005, 03:30 AM)
That just shows you that the whole antenna thing is only half science and half luck.

Not true Jeff, read my HOW-TO and you will see the calculations involved.

BSR, I guess I was too flippant with my statement. What I have found though is that even when you apply the appropriate physics, there are a number of 'other' factors that affect the antenna performance. So I would say that the 'science' is necessary, but not sufficient!

I have built at least 4 antennas and tried a number of already built antennas - and my findings for my particular installation have proven that even though on paper one antenna should perform better - it doesn't necessarily. I believe that it's the 'other' factors that affect it. That's the 'non-science' aspect I was referencing.

Here's what I found to work in my situation......discovered through hours of testing, crawling, and climbing.....

My W800 performs best without an antenna attached, and just a 25 foot coax attached.

I have the ground plane antenna (originally built to attach to the W800) is now used as a transmit antenna attached to my CM19A for ninja control.

I liked hearing that some were successful in using a standard TV tower. I, like many, have taken their TV antenna out of service. I still have a 40 foot tower with a Lindsay 2100 antenna on top with a rotor......tried that combo too, didn't work for me....rats!

(I now hacked the rotor on the antenna to mount to a camera!)

So, I agree the science is critical, but the proof's in the testing....

(P.S. I love the ground plane antenna!)

When it comes to transmitting impedence matching is very important. If there is a mismatch a percentage of the signal actually gets reflected back to the transmitter. The ham radio people on this board could probably give a more exact and detailed explanation.

The only way I know to improve/look at this is to use a power meter to measure the transmitting power from the antenna (again the "hams" may want to jump in here). If you are using good quality coax connections though I doubt there is much improvement you could make to your setup though.

Back