[Blogs] Beelzeblog - Wait wait wait wait wait....backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
So I've played with the backup a little now...mainly restoring backups. There appears to be 2 main ways to re-use backups. There's a file/directory restore, and a complete system restore.

For the file restore, you go into the console, pick the PC in question, click View Backups, select the backup you're interested in, and click Open.

From that point, it's a little weird, and the Open dialog box actually warns you about it. It says to decline any suggestions at rebooting your PC. Yikes! :) Sure enough, I get a few notices to reboot my PC in order for changes to take place. I politely decline. Geez, I'm only trying to view a backup! I also get notices on the taskbar that new hardware was found. Ummm, ok.

When it's finally done, however, what happens is up pops an explorer window for my Y drive. Now, I don't have a Y drive, real or otherwise. But thanks to WHS, for this purpose, I do! So, the Y drive is basically like a mapped drive, mapped to the backup I just opened. So it's like I'm browsing the actual hard drive on the PC that was backed up. I find this very clever, actually. What I had expected, when I said to open that backup, was that some huge list of files (kind of like what you see when you open a zip file in WinZip) would appear, and then I'd have to scroll down, looking for the file I wanted. Instead, it's just like any other way I'd deal with files....drag, copy, use, etc. All except change, since the drive is read-only, as you'd expect. In my opinion, quite quite clever and a very intuitive way to deal with backups and make them very accessible...not what I had expected.

System restores, however, I find is the one area that WHS has not lavished enough information on. For the life of me, I can't find out how to do one of these. Oh, I know the theory behind it....you burn a restore CD from your WHS system, go to the dead PC and boot off that CD, and then it'll communicate of the network to download the files and restore the drive. Clever. And when you go into the help, for system restore, that's exactly what it says to do. However, I can't find anywhere how to actually burn that CD in the first place. I went all through the backups....nothing. I read the help...nothing. To WHS credit, this is the first time that I haven't been able to answer a question I have in just a few seconds...I may have to resort to googling the answer (and yes....google, not bing....but it doesn't sound cool to say you're going to resort to binging the answer....too many ings in there.)

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back