[Blogs] Beelzeblog - Well, that didn't take long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
WHS is already full. I guess that's not a surprise, and was actually part of my test. I set 3 PC's to backup, one alone of which is close to 200 GB. And WHS only has a 160 and a 40 GB disk. So, given system files and photos I moved there (plus telling it to duplicate), that's no surprise that it's full. In fact, it didn't back up one of my PC's because of this.

That's fine, since this is all for fun at this point...but it does bring up quite an issue. Using these older PC's is great and all, but it leaves me out of the great SATA hard-drive bargain bonanza's going on all the time. I could pick up half a terabyte for under $100...but have nothing to plug it into (except our main PC's, which both have SATA). I could always buy bigger IDE drives, but I've got spiritual misgivings about spending money on the previous generation of technology. (although I did spend $10 recently on a used 12" CRT TV w/DVD player, and I couldn't be happier).

So that seems to leave me with 2 options:

1) Buy a SATA PCI add-in card and go from there.
Those are cheap enough at newegg...like sub $20 in most cases. I don't expect great things from them, but they should at least allow me to add 1 or 2 sata drives.

2) Buy a new motherboard that supports SATA.
It's a full departure from the idea of re-using what I have laying around. I try to use what I have as much as possible instead of adding to the pile of yet more stuff. However....it can certainly be said that this PC is an actual need and "investment" in our home architecture, since it will be running CQC and WHS....so maybe it is allowable to spend a little and get something to fit the need.

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back