[Blogs] If the shoe fits - Electrical Plug to splitter to powerbar to powerbar to power conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
Pardon the long layoff. I was quite ill over the last 2 weeks or so.......

One of the big problems I was facing recently was the lack of electrical outlets in my mechanical room. I didn't request any more than normal in there and the builder had only put in 1 for the sump pump. I took an old splitter that I had laying around that plugs into a dual outlet and provides 6 outlets from it. I plugged in the sump pump to 1 outlet, leaving me with 5. Not nearly enough.......I then plugged in a powerbar to one of those outlets....then another powerbar into the first powerbar, then one of my Monster Power conditioners into the 2nd powerbar.......this was getting ugly.

I went shopping and came home with one of those 7 foot power strips that has an outlet every 6 inches or so and the equipment for 3 additional plugs. I have plans to run them to a new breaker in the panel, but for now they will tap into the sump pump plug. I ran cable for 1 plug across the mechanical room from my equipment for the IR repeater. Next I installed a plug at the top of my termination board. Finally I wired the power strip into that plug and ran it parallel to the shelving I installed for my equipment.

3 Hours later, all my equipment is on the shelving, all plugged neatly into the strip/plugs and things are not only much nicer to look at, but much more functional for me to work on the equipment when needed.

I felt like I was on a roll, so I continued on, installing the equipment that had arrived over the last 2 weeks while I was sick. I started by installing the S/PDIF cable in my server so I can now get surround sound from my server. Next I installed the Digital Optical to Digital Coaxial converter on the XBOX cable so I can easily get Surround sound from my xbox (upstairs) to my mechanical room (Downstairs) without having to run an optical cable. At the same time, I replaced the factory Wii cable with the HD Wii cable I got.

This caused some more issues, but I was prepared. Now that I have Component cables comming out of my server, Wii, Xbox, satellite receiver, and DVD player, It is more than the 3 inputs my receiver has. I bought a monoprice component video switch that is IR learning, and got it plugged in, and the server plugged into it, and then my wife came home. That was it for the night. I still have to plug the Wii, and Xbox into the switch and program it for my IR Codes, but I am willing to wait until the last 2 peices of my termination panel show up, so I wont have to re-terminate the Xbox and Wii cables again in a week or so.......I'm pretty sure I will be too busy to play them this week anyhow.

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back