Bought new Pany now what surge protector do I need

Rupp

Guys,
I've got my new Panasonic plasma and I absolutely love it. My fear of analog cable looking bad wasn't founded and it looks excellent. The HD on the TV looks absolutely stunning. I didn't realize I had so many HD choices for free OTA. Anyway I need a surge protector but frankly many of them are so expensive that I could buy a UPS for half of the price. What do you guys use and recommend. TIA

Rupp, HD is offered for free by my cable company (Time Warner), you might want to check with your provider to see how much they charge. If OTA is that great, you might want to invest in a few OTA tuners for your Media Center box (which you of course have ;))

Dan,
I know very little about the Media Center boxes. What would this buy me? I'm setting here watching the ND and Ohio St game and it is simply amazing how good this looks.

As far as offering free HS my cable suplier does as well but you have to upgrade to digital cable and it's an addition $15 / month. I had it for a week and the digital feed was horrible as compared to my analog cable? This makes no since to me at all.

What about the surge protectors?

I just have my TV plugged into an APC UPS/Surge protector unit (mostly to protect against brownouts). HD is indeed very nice, you won't want to go back ;) I am really curious as to how well OTA looks, my TV didn't have an integrated OTA tuner.

electron said:
I just have my TV plugged into an APC UPS/Surge protector unit (mostly to protect against brownouts). HD is indeed very nice, you won't want to go back ;) I am really curious as to how well OTA looks, my TV didn't have an integrated OTA tuner.
Your right. It is a step down when not watching HD. I live within 10 miles of the towers so I bought a 4 bow antenna for $39 and set it in my attic. The picture is absolutely stunning. You can see acne on the faces of the players. What's odd is some of the OTA analog stations I barley get and are really snowy but when I switch to the HD tuner the signal is a clear as can be. Of course it is digital so it's either on or off. I even get one channel that is 52 miles away and the antenna is picking it up from the rear (which it's not supposed to do). This is the only channel that pixelates from time to time. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and some channel called ZTNTV in high def. If I could only get ESPNHD I would cancel my cable service.

Back