bridging networks

jrfuda

Gang,

I need to get my network upstairs.

There's no practical way to get CAT5 from downstairs, where most of my network is to upstairs.

I have a wifi router, so that's an option - but 3 of the devices (Dlink DCS-900 cameras) I plan on using are non-wifi capable.

I plan on having the following items upstairs:

1 x PC that will be my camera server (wifi capable w/additional purchase) in master bedroom
3 x DCS-900 cameras (stairway, nursery, kid's room)
1 x 8-port switch to support the "upstairs network" (master bedroom)
1 x PC in the Au Pair's room (wifi capable)
1 x Dish VIP 211 receiver that -may- need access to the network in the future (Au Pair's room)

I have no problem running CAT5 once I'm upstairs, it's just getting the first run up there that's the problem.

So here are some options I've thought about but I'm not sure they will work.

1. Put a wifi card in the camera server and use it's built-in NIC to connect to the switch, enable internet sharing (or bridge networks) and have it feed the upstairs network. Would probably use 802.11g - but my router is a "pre-N" model, so if I spring for an "N" card - I should not have any bandwidth issues.

2. Use a powerline netwoking device, connect it to my downstairs network, then connect the switch to it upstairs.. I could also use some additional modules in place of the swith in areas that may prove slightly more difficult to run. This seems like it may cause a little congestion - at least with the path from upstairs to downstairs, and I'm not sure if the master bedroom and my living room (where most of the downstairs network is) are on the same powerline phase.

3. Use a wifi bridge. I assume I could connect this to the switch and it would bridge the networks? Would a WAP or additional wifi router (used as a switch) do the same thing? I remember wifi brigdges used to be rather common, but I could not find any at all at and B&M stores - at least not in the last 2 weeks. Would a wifi game adapter do the same thing?

What do y'all think?

One 'trick' you might try although perhaps not the most elegant is to run the cat5 on the outside of the house and then reenter at the second floor. Easier if you can paint it the same color, or otherwise disguise it. I saw someone do this once, and it was surprisingly 'hidden'. You could then run everything else from the upstairs. Personally I would do this or otherwise cut holes to get something wired in there. I like wireless, but for convenience. For everything else I still used wired connections.

As far as the bridge, you do need something designed for the purpose. I remember when 80211.b was still very new, I tried using two wireless routers to do something similar and it clearly did not work. I'd guess a game adapter would work but I have never seen a switch put at the end of a game adapter.

Thanks Mike.

I considered doing the outside the house thing too, but I'd have to borrow/but a ladder 'cause my little 6' step ladder can't do it. It also creates more wire runs becuase the location for the switch will be on an interior wall.

I did some googling and this product: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper - a Linksys 802.11g bridge looks promosing. It has decent reviews on most sites (some really bads ones with older firmware revisions, though) and looks like it may do the trick. I've found them for as low as $50. I really wish there was an N/pre-N version available, though, so I could fully exploit the capabilities of my router (which is now ruinning in "g" only mode).

The more I think about this, the more I think going with homeplug devices is the way top go. I'm not going to be around to maintain a wireless network, and from what I 've read about the homeplug devices, they are extremely reliable and CAN bridge powerline phases (if they are fully homplug 1.0 compliant, which the 12~14 mbps devices are - NOT the 85 mbps models...).

So I'll have a bit of a bottleneck, but it'l be as fast or sighlty faster than 802.11b - and mabe as fast as 802.11g - given that 802.11g doesn't truly perform at 54mbps anyway....

JustDeals.com still has them for $23.95 w/free shipping (refurb'd). I think I may buy 5 (max number supportable) of them - and save myself a few CAT5 runs.. I can then try this configuration for "upstairs."

1 x 8-port switch connected to homeplug adapter
1 x PC CameraServer connected to switch
1 x Stairway camera connected to switch
2 x DCS-900 cameras (nursery & kid's room) connected to homeplug adapter
1 x PC in the Au Pair's room connected via wifi *
1 x Dish VIP 211 receiver that -may- need access to the network in the future (Au Pair's room) connected via homeplug...

*Alteranteively, I can use an extra switch I have laying around - attach it to the homeplud module in the Au Pair's room, and have a port for her PC, the Dish receiver and two additional devices available in that room.

The fifth homeplug adapter will be downstairs, connected to one of the switches that reside there.

I will not be able to use any encryption on the homeplug devices becuase the cameras have no way of validating themselves on the network (which requires the installation of software on each "PC" on the network)... but I doubt anyone in the neighborhood will be using homeplug as well - or that they'd be in range if they were.

jrfuda said:
I will not be able to use any encryption on the homeplug devices becuase the cameras have no way of validating themselves on the network (which requires the installation of software on each "PC" on the network)... but I doubt anyone in the neighborhood will be using homeplug as well - or that they'd be in range if they were.
the encryption is set up between the homeplug devices only. your devices won't know about the encryption, they'll just think they're connected to ethernet.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Damage: You're right. I misread the manual - the PC connection is only required to establish the encryption key (to change it from the defualt), not to maintain it.

Scott: Thanks for the advice, that's an interesting article.

I've done lots of connections of many sorts between floors, rooms, suites, buildings, etc. It's part of what our company does.

I'd go to a LOT of trouble to run a cable over any other method. There's a lot to be said for LONG drill bits if that's an option.

Yeah, snake a piece of wire down by the toilet stack, chase water or heating pipes, ductwork (even inside with plenum-rated wire), drill behind a mopboard, almost anything...

Back