cable for security cameras

betrickey

I have some left over spools of RG6U left from a few basement remodel jobs sitting in the garage, is this ok to use for security camers or should I get some RG59 .

Go ahead and use your RG6.

RG6 is very similar to RG59, except that it has higher bandwidth. For CCTV, the two should perform identically..

Actually, the rg59 IS better for security cameras than RG6. The reason why was explained to me once at an HA integration class, but I've long since forgotten it.

That said, unless you are running long lengths or looking for super quality pictures, go ahead and use the RG6. The difference in quality is not that great, and most importantly, you already have it. Take the money you save and buy another Insteon/z-wave/X10/upb switch.

jlehnert said:
Actually, the rg59 IS better for security cameras than RG6. The reason why was explained to me once at an HA integration class, but I've long since forgotten it.
Ooh, Please, Please, Please, try to remember! ;)

95% of my coax use is either for baseband video (NTSC, PAL and SECAM) or HDSDI. If there is some reason I should keep buying RG59, I need to know!

RG6 and RG 59 are both 75 ohm co-ax cables. the difference is in the loss. RG-6 has a lower loss, therefore is it the logical choice for long runs.

Rocco

RG-6 IS BETTER!

It appears there is no real reason (at least in my searching) to use RG59. RG6 should be just as good for short distance and is required for longer distances. There is however a lot of difference between the brands, etc. For security, Siamese cable is also popular. This has the coax and power in the same outer sheath. Here are a few links with some info.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/video/videocoax.html
http://www.pelco.com/support/videosecbasic...ctingcable.aspx
http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/jun03/arti...clark/clark.htm

It came during a camera manufacturer presentation at Worthington University (integration classes run by Worthington Distribution) back in 2004. I was surprised by it also, but since the explaination was understandable (and believable) and the rep would have no ulterior motive for pushing a specific type of cable, I tend to believe it. It'll take some digging to find my notes, as they are buried in a pile in the corner. (or is it that pile over there, or maybe that box, or maybe in one of the two boxes I put up in the attic, or.......... :( )

jlehnert said:
It'll take some digging to find my notes, as they are buried in a pile in the corner. (or is it that pile over there, or maybe that box, or maybe in one of the two boxes I put up in the attack, or.......... :( )
J, it sounds like you use the same filing system as I do. That means it is at the bottom of the pile that you look in last. The furthest, hardest to get to, under the most dust one.

The advantage of RG-59 may simply be that it is "good enough", and tends to be smaller-diameter and more flexible than RG-6.

Also, some RG-59 has lower capacitance-per-foot than some RG-6 (the best and worst of each are roughly equivalent to each other in C/ft). This capacitance is the significant contributor to attenuation (at high frequencies) in a high-impedance base-band circuit, as opposed to a 75-ohm impedance-matched RF circuit.

- Dennis Brothers

Back