Cable Modem inside media cabinet...Heat concerns?

Hi folks,
I'm wondering if there is any problem with installing an Arris TM402P cable modem (Comcast) inside a metal structured media cabinet. Specifically, is there a problem with heat.

This will be in northern California, so it's a mild climate and the cabinet will be recessed in a closet wall. There will not be a fan inside the cabinet and the cabinet will be 16" x 14". This cabinet will be the central location for 5 telephone lines of cat 5e, 3 coax cable tv lines and 6 internet cat 5e lines. There will be a power strip on the wall outside the cabinet, so no 120 v inside the cabinet. There would be an 8 port gigabit ethernet switch along with the cable modem and a telephone/catv punch down module. Both the cable modem and the ethernet switch power supplies will plug in to a power strip on the wall outside the cabinet.

Thanks for your assistance.

It should do just fine - it's a pretty standard configuration. Otherwise you can put your cable-modem in a room somewhere that has Cable and an Ethernet jack and then feed it back to the closet using the one ethernet jack, so it's just your gigabit switch there in the cabinet.

Heat does build up in those things pretty easily, and unfortunately Builders use boxes that are way too small; most people with boxes that small I see end up leaving the cover off and the equipment spewing out. sometimes you can replace the cover with a vented cover as well.

Also note that you'll probably get much poorer performance from your Wifi if you have it in that cabinet - I generally recommend that people with structured media centers like that use a separate Access Point located someplace more central to the house.

Thanks to all who replied. The Comcast modem is Comcast's property. I think I might do what Work2Play suggested, to install it remotely from the media cabinet and run it's wires back to the cabinet. Then, no concerns for excess heat and LEDS can be seen for status.

I have Comcast and use my own Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I have it in a 42" wcan with other equipment without a door. Never had a problem.

HTH,
Kevin

I have Comcast and use my own Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I have it in a 42" wcan with other equipment without a door. Never had a problem.
42" with no door is a HUGE difference compared to a 14" fully enclosed! ^_^

42" with no door is a HUGE difference compared to a 14" fully enclosed! ^_^
No question. I didn't see that the OP had to have a door. A door makes a difference. I don't think the size is as relevant; how densely it's packed with heat-generating equipment is a bigger factor. I'm not familiar with the Arris modem the OP is using; the Motorola SB6120, that works with Comcast, does not generate a lot of heat.

Kevin

Certainly not the same product, but I have seen a 'Business Class' Netgear switch (GS108 to be exact) mounted in an outdoor enclosure (sealed w/o any vents) in FL. It was installed approx. 4 years ago and is still working today. Note the temperature range is listed as 32-122F.

EDIT: I just looked for a spec sheet on the device in question (Arris TM402P)... the linked document shows that the operating temperature ranges is 41-104F.

Extremely unlikely that the cabinet will get over 104°... And I've put some equipment in conditions way beyond rated specs and been surprised by their performance. Many times they only test to a certain temperature; has nothing to do with testing until failure points.

If you are worried about it, the leviton enclosures have the ring extender options which has vents on the side. But they only make it for the 28"+ cabinets, If you are willing to bump up the size. Or you could add some vents to the door. Maybe use something like a speaker grille. I don't think a fan is necessary, but as long as you have airflow and a way for the heat to escape.

I agree, I would try without venting and and see how warm the cabinet gets, before going out of your way...

I install modems for Comcast in structured wiring closets (my own included) constantly with zero issues. I live in Atlanta and it gets pretty hot but as long as your structured wiring panel is somewhere your equipment can receive proper ventallation you should be fine.

Back