Caddx expansion /replacement?

NX8E panel
NX148E Keypad
NX1448E keypad
2X NX216E expansion boards
2X NX216 expansion boards (I don't know the difference between the 216 and 216E)
NX320
NX586

The NX8E is the alarm panel itself.  If you have an NX-6 or NX-4, then are limited to only 16 total zones or as I found out, really only 8 the hardwired zone expansion modules can only start at zone 9 and higher.  So on my NX-6V2, I had zones 1 through 6 on the alarm panel itself and then the NX216E I bought, I could only use 8 of the 16 ports.  So if you don't have an NX8, NX8v2 or NX8E today, now would be the time to upgrade.

NX148E - This is just an LCD keypad
NX1448E - This is just an LCD keypad and can support up to 192 zones
NX216E - This is a 16 zone expansion module.  This has extra dip switches that can alter the starting zone numbers; 6 switches compared to 4 on the NX216
NX216 - 16 zone expansion module
NX320 - That is the remote power supply
NX586 - This is a serial to bus to configure the panel using either the DL900 or DLX900 software.

The difference between he NX216 and NX216E is the number of dip switches.  The NX216 has four and can operate at zones starting at 9, 17, 25, 33 and 41.  The NX8 and NX8v2 didn't support 192 zones that the NX8E supports.  So the NX216 modules can be used but can't go higher than zone 48.  The NX216E has a total of six dip switches and can go up to zone 192.  That is the difference.  So nothing wrong with the NX216, they just need to be the first modules to be used if you ever planned on going past zone 48.  So if you needed 64 zones, you could use the NX216 from zones 8 to 48 and then you would need to use the NX216E for zones 49 to 64.  When I bought my expansion modules, even though I don't plan on having more than 48 zones, I went with the NX216E anyway.

The NX320 vs NX320E is similar to the above.  Each module needs to have its own address, the NX320 has four possible addresses, the NX320E has eight.  So if you're just going to use a single bus extender, then the NX320 could work just fine.  Keep in mind that unless you have an NX-8E, some the extra addresses are not available anyway.  So an NX-8 or NX-8V2 could only support four NX-320 remote power supplies even if the NX-320E was used.  The NX-320E would need to be configured to only use the addresses supported by the alarm panel.  The NX-8E has four additional addresses for a total of eight NX-320E boards.  You could use four NX-320 and use the lower address space and then four NX-320E using the upper address ranges.  NX320 supports 84, 85, 86 and 87.  The NX320E supports 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 and 91.

The NX-320E is a microprocessor-controlled remote power supply module for the NetworX control panels. The module has three programmable outputs (A, B, C) and one programmable style Y bell output. You can add up to eight power supply modules for a total of 32 outputs. You can use the A, B, and C programmable outputs as auxiliary power, for smoke detectors and sirens. (See Specifications on page 19.) Each power supply module has a tamper terminal that can be used to supervise the metal enclosure. Do not use more than 2500 ft. of wire from the NX-320E to all outgoing devices.

So the NX320 you can only add four.  I went with the NX-320E but there really wasn't a reason I had to since I'll have just the one.  The description of the NX320 is a bit different from the NX320E.  The NX320 is called a remote power supply and the NX320E is a bus extender that also has a power supply.  from the manual for the NX320 it has the same terminals.  So it can work as a bus extender, they just renamed the NX320E to have bus extender in its name.

The non E modules are usually less expensive than the E modules.  The NX-8E has more memory for the address space, so the modules would conversely need more memory.  The sad thing is, memory is cheap but not when the boards were engineered.  So if you were never going to use more than 48 zones, the NX320 is a viable option.  I just decided to stick with the E modules for future proof but this decision was made before the notice from UTC (Interlogix) about sunsetting the line.

I have an NX8E.  Currently just the NX8E with doubled zones.  I suppose I could add a NX216 to it in the future but I have things pretty well covered.  So the way I figure it I need:

NX320 (could be E or non-E as far as I can tell )
NX216 (again could be E or non-E as even if I put one in the main panel I will still be ok and don't see using more than 2 including the remote can)
Can  - Is the NX003 the standard can for the system or expansion (both)?
transformer

The rest of the stuff - siren, battery, door switches are universal so no issue there.  Might add some glass breaks - don't know much about them but could wire them pretty easily.  No wireless stuff at this point.

what's the difference between the NX148E and NX1448E keypads?

The enclosure is the same.  If you buy a NX-003 it won't list a model number on the sticker like NX-8E or anything like that.  It won't have a sticker of any kind on it.  In the far right, in the groves is where the alarm panel can be installed.  Then there are holes for where up to four boards can be installed; either vertically or horizontally.  So overall, the NX-003 is the same as what the NX-8E enclosure is; the sticker is just different.  So they are interchangeable.  On my system I'll add a third can to the system; I haven't decided whee I'm placing the can with the NX-320E and NX-216E in it.  Of the two current cans, one says NX-8 on it and the other says NX-8E.  The alarm panel is in the NX-8E can along with one NX-216E.  In the other can I have the NX-584E board (the serial board for Home Automation and I went with board rather than the integrated serial port because the NX-584E supports faster serial speed; 76800 rather than 38400.  I also have the NX-595E in this can and is mainly used to set the time via my own NTP servers and to use the DLX900 software with.  Also in this can is a PoE splitter and the IOLAN terminal server.  The Home Automation system uses the terminal server exclusively.  I might add a second battery in this enclosure and use a Y cable to the alarm panel.

I have noticed that the enclosure for the NX4 and NX6 is slightly different, they look the same but the holes for expansion boards are less.  Rather than supporting three in the enclosure, the NX-6V2 enclosure I had only had holes to support two.  Seems a little strange that they would actually do that since they are just stamped.  If they sued the same enclosure they would just put a different sticker on it.

The NX-320 or NX-320E uses one of the four areas where a board can be installed.  So you have room for three more boards, one of which will be a NX-216 or NX-216E.    Don't forget the battery, otherwise when the power fails, the keypad connected to the NX-320/NX-320E will go dead along with the NX-216/NX-216E.  The NX-320/NX-320E would still be powered though since it draws power from the alarm panel itself.  The system would also go into alarm since it would see a loss of the 16 zone expansion module and a keypad.  I remember seeing that they say the NX-320E can have a max 18Ah 12VDC battery.

The NX-320 should come with a transformer.  My NX-320E did.  It is a hardwired transformer, so you see the internals.  It is not a wall wart type.

For the keypads, look at the last page:
https://static.interlogix.com/library/79146_networx_keypad_bro_web.pdf

What wire should I be looking at to run between buildings for the alarm comms?  For the distance 24 AWG is ok.  Thinking I could use Cat5 although I would have lots of extra conductors?  And how to wire?  Think this uses 3 wires so two pairs and use 1 wire in each for ground and the other for signals?  Or just tie both wires in each pair together and use each pair for each connection?  Or use some other wet rated wire?

Back