Camera to identify faces at 52' (in daylight)

Not a constructive reply to the original post, but this seems like a problem that would be best solved via the use of a large stick.

My useless $.02.

gk

Not a constructive reply to the original post, but this seems like a problem that would be best solved via the use of a large stick.

My useless $.02.

gk
Yeah, except the ones who need to use the large stick (the parents) either don't know that little johnny is a bad boy or don't care. If they did, there wouldn't be a problem.

I have a funny story to add to this thread....

3 weeks ago I went to my HOA meeting and I brought up the subject of beefing up security in our neighborhood. My car was burglarized recently and felt that I should bring up the subject to let everyone know that they need to protect their stuff.

At that meeting the Vice-President sort of got into a heated debate with me about how this was my fault and how I should have locked my car doors. He also went on to mention how who ever did this to me probably targeted me and I probably just pissed someone off. He also said that he leaves his car unlocked all the time and that his corner has never had any issues.

Here comes the funny part. The weekend after our heated debate someone smashed in his car windows and stole his GPS and Laptop. Keep in mind that I had just warned him to protect his stuff. Also, he is a real estate agent and he sold the house next to his just a week before. His new neighbors also got their windows smashed in. Karma is a a bitch! I don't wish this to happen to any of my neighbors but after this guy got loud with me I could not help but chuckle.

Now maybe he will be a little more receptive to using our budget to beef up security.

Now maybe he will be a little more receptive to using our budget to beef up security.

*sigh* Squintz, I'd think you'd know a little bit more about human nature than this. There's no way he'll give greater thought to the security, since that would be an admission of his being in error. Much more likely is he suspects you did this to him to prove a point. I'd make sure your alibi for that time period is rock solid... :)

Good luck either way. I think that it's vital for a community to know how much crime is going...as it was the forming of our neighborhood watch which convinced us it was time to get out of there!

Much more likely is he suspects you did this to him to prove a point. I'd make sure your alibi for that time period is rock solid... :)
First thing I thought of!

Seriously, Squintz, wait until the heat cools off before posting them on eBay.

Just thought of something. Could you put recording system in a car and park nearer to the stop? The CSI comment made me think of that. Mount something like the cop cameras in the grill, you could get sound too.

Or rig some type of wireless camera closer to the stop. Buy a cheap lockable electrical box, put a wireless camera in side, mount on a pole near the bus stop. Rough it up to look used and put a high voltage sticker on it. You could get one of those chunky alarm backup batteries, it would run that camera for days, swap the battery out with another.. I bet you could get this setup for less than $500.

Just thought of something. Could you put recording system in a car and park nearer to the stop? The CSI comment made me think of that. Mount something like the cop cameras in the grill, you could get sound too.

Or rig some type of wireless camera closer to the stop. Buy a cheap lockable electrical box, put a wireless camera in side, mount on a pole near the bus stop. Rough it up to look used and put a high voltage sticker on it. You could get one of those chunky alarm backup batteries, it would run that camera for days, swap the battery out with another.. I bet you could get this setup for less than $500.

52' is pretty close to the bus stop already. I would assume that parking a car any closer and leaving it there for an extended period, or having the same car sitting in the same location, same time period day after day is going to draw plenty of attention of its own. It may even lead to parking tickets, towed car, damaged car, etc. I dont see this as a good idea

yeah, it's a highly regulated parking area. The battery thing isn't a bad idea, but the other issue we're running into is legal restrictions on who can put up a camera & where (or a volunteering issue - many businesses are afraid that they'll get their windows broken/etc if they see a camera.)

yeah, it's a highly regulated parking area. The battery thing isn't a bad idea, but the other issue we're running into is legal restrictions on who can put up a camera & where (or a volunteering issue - many businesses are afraid that they'll get their windows broken/etc if they see a camera.)

Legal restrictions - I assume that means that the businesses there dont own the property, making it privately owned??

yep. Lots of issues stemming from that, but the 52' location is the rare instance of business owning the property.

Resurrecting an old thread, but I was thinking about the 'zooming in and out' aspect, like at a gas station.

I would think the Axis Camera Station software could provide this function - it's free with a single camera. If you want to use the SW with more than 1 camera, you need to pay.

I don't know if an optic zoom lens can be controlled by this Axis Camera Station SW - might be only digital zoom, necessitating a much more expensive camera.

Edit - I think a zoom lens would be needed, increasing the cost. ;)

Edit - Axis has some great literature on ip camera basics. (Warning - big pdf)

Back