Wanted: Security Camera Suggestions

malson

Hello all. I am looking for some links/pointers/advice for adding some security cameras to the outside of my home. Our neighborhood has experienced a recent spike in criminal activity with multiple vehicle break-ins including a 2 week old truck being stolen out of a neighbor's driveway this past weekend. We haven't suffered any sort of losses, yet...but want to create both a deterrent and a way to capture footage if something does happen.

I will be looking to add three cameras; 1 to cover the side of the house where the demarcs, a/c units, etc are located, 2 to cover the driveway/front yard, and 3 to cover the front porch/door area. Here is what I am looking for:

1) Dome cameras - mostly for aesthetic reasons
2) Good IR ability - need about 60' of nighttime viewing ability
3) Ability to be motion activated/record on motion
4) Simple DVR unit to record footage
5) IP ability for internet viewing would be a plus but not required

So, I'm looking for suggestions for cameras, the DVR, and any necessary accessories to make it all work. Any suggestions as to suppliers/vendors to use would also be helpful. Budget is limited since this is a deterrent based system so I'm not looking for any PTZ cameras, etc. I do not currently have another PC to use as a head for the camera system but it could be possible depending on price. If suggesting IP systems, I will probably be remotely viewing from a Mac instead of a PC so ActiveX controls would be out.

Please let me know if any clarification or additional information is needed and thanks in advance for reading all of this and letting me know your opinions!

My first suggestion is to contact CollinR. He is a member here on cocoontech and he set me up with my whole CCTV system. I currently have 9 cameras on the exterior with full viewing capabilities over the web and he set the whole thing up including hosting and setting up the web access site.

There are SOOOOOOO many options on CCTV cameras and DVR setups. Some are decent but a LOT are total crap. The problem is you can't tell what is decent and what is crap by the specs since those are usually totally off.

Good luck!

Chris

Since you emphasize the deterrent value, why not consider motion activated floodlights? I think you will find that IR-illumination is not all it is cracked up to be, especially on a budget. With floodlights you will get a better picture because of the better light and because you can afford to put more of your budget into the cameras rather than a bunch of IR illuminators. Sixty feet is a lot for IR to cover. Besides, the simple act of the lights going on my scare off the perps.

Hello all. I am looking for some links/pointers/advice for adding some security cameras to the outside of my home. Our neighborhood has experienced a recent spike in criminal activity with multiple vehicle break-ins including a 2 week old truck being stolen out of a neighbor's driveway this past weekend. We haven't suffered any sort of losses, yet...but want to create both a deterrent and a way to capture footage if something does happen.

I will be looking to add three cameras; 1 to cover the side of the house where the demarcs, a/c units, etc are located, 2 to cover the driveway/front yard, and 3 to cover the front porch/door area. Here is what I am looking for:

1) Dome cameras - mostly for aesthetic reasons
2) Good IR ability - need about 60' of nighttime viewing ability
3) Ability to be motion activated/record on motion
4) Simple DVR unit to record footage
5) IP ability for internet viewing would be a plus but not required

So, I'm looking for suggestions for cameras, the DVR, and any necessary accessories to make it all work. Any suggestions as to suppliers/vendors to use would also be helpful. Budget is limited since this is a deterrent based system so I'm not looking for any PTZ cameras, etc. I do not currently have another PC to use as a head for the camera system but it could be possible depending on price. If suggesting IP systems, I will probably be remotely viewing from a Mac instead of a PC so ActiveX controls would be out.

Please let me know if any clarification or additional information is needed and thanks in advance for reading all of this and letting me know your opinions!

#1 Domes are a great compromise however the do bump the $ x2 when compared to bullets.
#2 I don't sell any cams with integrated IR, I would suggest you not buy any unless the situation is just right.
#3 This is normally a function of the recorder, this is a basic feature all your options should posses.
#4 Dunno what you mean by simply but I will insert cost effective.
#5 Will be tough with the no ActiveX rule, most DVRs use ActiveX some have the ability to bypass this but most are ActiveX.

Nothing says deterrent like a full on box and housing!

(Okay well razor wire does too :( )

So, any suggestions for dealers? I'm really looking for someone trustworthy and with decent pricing. Price quotes would be welcome for a suggested system. It seems that pricing is the most difficult thing to find...

What climate are you in?

I am in Omaha and the winters get very cold. For that reason and cost, I use nuvico dome cameras with the built in fan and heater. The heater switches on automatically at about 40f I think. They worked great this past winter which was very cold.

I think I paid ~225 for each. If I went with a bullet style camera, the cost would be considerably higher to outfit them with the enclosure and a heater.
The cameras alone aren't IP equipped, but you can achieve that through an appropriate DVR system.

http://www.nuvico.com/product_detail.htm?id=44

I bought mine from here:
http://www.techcctv.com/nuvicodome.htm

What climate are you in?

I am in Omaha and the winters get very cold. For that reason and cost, I use nuvico dome cameras with the built in fan and heater. The heater switches on automatically at about 40f I think. They worked great this past winter which was very cold.

I think I paid ~225 for each. If I went with a bullet style camera, the cost would be considerably hire to outfit them with the enclosure and a heater.
The cameras alone aren't IP equipped, but you can achieve that through an appropriate DVR system.

http://www.nuvico.com/product_detail.htm?id=44

I bought mine from here:
http://www.techcctv.com/nuvicodome.htm
I am using on-Q color bullet cams in northern Wisconsin with no heaters or fans and am satisfied with image. Temps have gone down to 23 below zero with no camera problems. They are internet using On-Q Video Server. Also have a Canon VB-C50ir in a dome with heater and fan outside. Has built in server for Internet. Picture is superb but cost is 10x.

I live in southeast Tennessee so weather is usually not much of a problem. It rarely gets down to the teens on cold winter days. I don't know how you people in the north and midwest do it! Thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions for equipment and dealers. I've sent a PM to Collin but have not yet heard back. Any more opinions/recommendations would be welcomed.

it all depends on what the lighting enviroment is in where you are putting the cams in, the resolution of the cams, and camera's features

as for places to buy online i'm not really sure... i get my equipment from a distributor

p.m me and i can have you log on to some of my sites and give you examples of different cams

cheers

bryan

Back