Hikvision doorbell camera motion sensor cover cracked and falling apart

JimS

Noticed the cover on my camera is deteriorating. It faces south so thinking it is sun exposure. It's been up for 2 years. I don't use the motion sensing capability - I just use the video stream from it. Any suggestions? I doubt the company will give me a replacement cover but I could try. Or see if I could just buy the cover plate. I could block that area with something since I don't need the function. 2 years isn't terrible I suppose but I shouldn't need to replace every 2 years.

Thanks Pete but I am now thinking the cracked part is not part of the cover but the main unit. I just had a quick look this morning as I went out the door and noticed the issue. I will take a look at it tonight to get a better idea. If part of the main body I may just cover it with some plastic and RTV. It will disable the IR detector but at least the camera will still work.

I checked it out. The cracked part is not part of the bezel. So I need to cover it with something.

I figured the unit was well out of warranty but wondered what the warranty was so looked it up. It appears there isn't one! This is the language I found on their site:

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE PRODUCT DESCRIBED, WITH ITS HARDWARE, SOFTWARE AND FIRMWARE,
IS PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITH ALL FAULTS AND ERRORS, AND HIKVISION MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT
LIMITATION, MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

It also doesn't help that sometimes people will press that cover thinking it is the doorbell button. Obviously the doorbell button is labeled and below that, but it still happens.

I checked it out. The cracked part is not part of the bezel. So I need to cover it with something.

I figured the unit was well out of warranty but wondered what the warranty was so looked it up. It appears there isn't one! This is the language I found on their site:
Assuming you have the DS-HD1, from the manual:

Thank you for purchasing Hikvision products. This limited warranty gives you, the original purchaser of the Hikvision product, specific legal rights. You may also have other legal
rights that vary by state, province, or jurisdiction. The disclaimers, exclusions, and limitations of liability under this limited warranty will not apply to the extent prohibited by
applicable law. No distributor, reseller, agent, or employee is authorized to make any modification, extension, or addition to this limited warranty.
Your Hikvision product is warranted for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase against defects in materials and workmanship, or such longer period as may be required by
law in the country or state where this product is sold, when used normally in accordance with Hikvision’s user manual.
You can request warranty service by calling us at +1-909-895-0400 or e-mail us at techsupport.usa
@hikvision.com
Doesn't really help with your case unfortunately, but you had me wondering ...

Thanks electron!

I removed the 4 screws that hold a ring around the motion detector and got that off but couldn't get the lens off so I covered it with thin kitchen wrap and put the retaining ring over that. It works but not sure how long it will last. It is under a fairly large overhang so unlikely it will get wet in anything but a very severe storm.

I reset the camera to move to an isolated network and now am having trouble connecting to the camera to configure it. It appears I could have used iVMS-4500 to just change the configuration but I didn't catch that until after I reset it. I have the default passwords but they don't seem to work. Don't have any notes on setting up an account and think I bypassed that somehow. I have a note I used the batch config program but not sure how that was done or if that's accurate. I do have iVMS-5400 on an old phone so perhaps I used that...

Back