Cameras and motion

Definitely some truth to that.  

A frustrating aspect is the time necessary to establish what does or doesn't work.. and then to have seasonal aspects complicate it further (tree growth, plant movement, etc).

I invested some time during last weekends snowstorm to further explore tensorflow.  Using BlueIris to trigger the analysis in HASS's tensorflow module brought my CPU for HASS back down to nominal levels.   So far accurracy seems pretty good, but it takes around 5 seconds for tensorflow to do it's thing with the default coco model, which seems to be what others are reporting as well.    There's still a lot of room to  experiment, there are other models provided, finding a way to leverage GPU, and/or creating my own model from my own samples from my BlueIris recordings.

And I still need to get package detection working, stupid amazon delivery folks like to just chuck packages onto my porch to avoid the camera.

I'm not expecting cameras to give me instantaneous "get up and do something NOW" alerts.  But I wouldn't reject reasonably quick alerts if they actually came from reliably detected pattern matching.  As in, a person-shape next to the cars/doors, and not a deer, cat, fox or dog.  Or passing tail lights.  Mine is a pretty typical suburban situation, one that's not going to have too many variations.  I could see where detection from a more heavily trafficked area would be much more complicated.

I'd be ok with a combination. The system really thinks it's seeing a person within 10 seconds or so and a next-day list of random other motion was detected.  This would likely require a constant recording loop, something I don't get now with a few low-end wireless cameras I've got.  I've had an analog setup running for a while. 

The combination of the two is at least giving me a better feel for what I'd really want, accepting that the current stuff probably won't be a good fit for the end solution.  THIS is, I think, the most difficult take-away for a lot of people entertaining home automation and/or camera solutions.  You don't know what you don't know, and won't know well enough until you try... and what you try might be time/money wasted.

I can't say I blame delivery folks from not wanting to be on camera.  It's a potentially stressful and strenuous job and not necessarily one that pays a lot.  Ladling the grief of being filmed and showing up on Youtube on top of low pay for hard work doesn't sound very appealing.  I mean, let's be honest here, we want decent package delivery but we're willing to vilify the delivery people when they can't jump through hoops?  Not sure where the balance lies.  But that's perhaps a conversation for a whole other thread.

Yes something has been lost in todays delivery process.   I would happily forgo the speed of delivery for a simple ring of my doorbell.    But in today's world I need to resort to artificial intelligence to replace the human intelligence that used to  exist in package delivery.    UPS/Fed Ex is much better then the dreaded white van.  Maybe instead of AI the solution is as simple as looking beyond Amazon for my wares...    I really miss Automated Outlet...

wuench said:
Yes something has been lost in todays delivery process.   I would happily forgo the speed of delivery for a simple ring of my doorbell.    But in today's world I need to resort to artificial intelligence to replace the human intelligence that used to  exist in package delivery.    UPS/Fed Ex is much better then the dreaded white van.  Maybe instead of AI the solution is as simple as looking beyond Amazon for my wares...    I really miss Automated Outlet...

I just canceled an order with Amazon and this isn't the first time that they have done this same thing to me.

I placed an order for a Prime item that promised free two day deliver and was to deliver tomorrow/Sunday. I live about ten miles from a fulfillment center. When I checked the order status online it showed a delivery date of next Friday, five days later than promised. This is not the first time that this has happened to me so now I just assume that their delivery promise is more like a wish than a promise which means that I can only order items where I don't care when they arrive. It turned out that the item was shipping from a third party even though it was an Amazon Prime item.

Progress is a double edged sword.

The whole in-stock vs external fulfillment thing bugs me, and it's not just Amazon.  WAY too many merchants are doing this.  I ran into that last Summer when I really needed to get a particular part ASAP.  The vendor's website said "in stock" so I added overnight delivery.  Only to find out, the next day, oh, yeah, it wasn't actually in-stock and the vendor had no overnight delivery options.  Hours of my time wasted getting the transaction cancelled, and I still didn't have the part I needed.

Where amazon additionally gets things screwy is co-mingled inventory.  As in, part A comes from the vendor.  Various merchants have amazon doing their fulfillment.  Amazon pools all of the things consider 'part A' into one inventory bin.  Trouble is, one (or more) of the 'merchants' is providing counterfeit material instead of a genuine 'part A'.  The bogus items get mixed in with the legit ones... and a mess ensues trying to untangled who cheated.

So, yeah, online shopping is not without hassles, regardless of merchant.

The item that I'm ordering is a water filter for Samsung refrigerator which has been known to be counterfeited on Amazon according to Consumer magazine. I just re-ordered a filter that is called "Amazonbasics" and claims to have all of the national certifications that the Samsung filter has. They cost approx 1/3 the cost of OEM filter.

One thing that
hlped me decide on teh Amazon part is that Consumer magazine has communicated to Amazon that there were counterfeits being sold on their site and Amazon claimed to be working to eliminate them.

https://www.consumerreports.org/refrigerators/how-to-find-cheaper-replacement-water-filter-for-your-refrigerator/

Apologies for going so far off topic.

Mike.

Same thing with GE filters (which is a fridge made by Samsung).  I've tried the equivalents and they DO NOT filter as effectively.

I suppose we could wrangle this back on topic by mentioning that some fridges are now coming with cameras in them....  Heh...

Yeah here (drifting again)...went from the high priced refrigerator water filters to  purchasing them in bulk...well from Ebay as they are the same vendors as from Amazon...did the same thing with my RO system....well and never drink the water or use the ice from the ice much...plastic tube taste never goes away unless you flush the plastic tubes with a mild bleach rinse which is a bit difficult to do....

I have been seeing flip flopping on the Amazon Prime delivery time frame stuff here....initially customer service calls were answered by blaming the USPS or whatever ....I started wanting give backs every time they messed up.....I am at about one year now of membership added month by month in give backs...plus credit for stuff that was not delivered on time....which works for me...IE: last bulk purchase of LED bulbs had one broken one...they gave me the box and sent another box of 12 or 24 bulbs...

For the camera stuff here went to multiple and different outdoor analog sensors and multiple cameras...worked for me...a delivery recorded by 3-4 cameras...front side, back and top...many times no doorbell ring...

Geez no newspaper this morning....sigh....09:11 AM C time and no newspaper!!!

TickToc..TickToc..TickToc..

Googling the Chicago Tribune (which I have had a subscription to since the late 1970's) it is no more really...last call said their was an issue with my subscription and they sent me over to the digital subscription department which is included anyhow ...it's the paper I need for my parrots cage more than anything any how...

Due to false notifications using optic-only motion detection I relented this fall and used the I/O jacks on my Axis cameras to add PIR units.
Now the camera rules can consider both in-camera optical motion & PIR triggering before they pester me.
from casual review I have better results for night-time exterior light triggering, but I still suspect I am getting a fair number of false alarms.

BaduFamily said:
Due to false notifications using optic-only motion detection I relented this fall and used the I/O jacks on my Axis cameras to add PIR units.
Now the camera rules can consider both in-camera optical motion & PIR triggering before they pester me.
from casual review I have better results for night-time exterior light triggering, but I still suspect I am getting a fair number of false alarms.

Nice but the cheap cameras that I've been buying don't have IO ports. Definitely worth an upgrade in some areas.

y'know, I don't recall stumbling across a camera comparison which ever includes such things. I guess they are extremely rare?

my current problem with this camera set is that Axis changed the output voltage over the intervening years, and so to use their current PIRs I had to upgrade the high priority cameras. I had a super hilarious and long 3-tier tech support ticket with them too.

I am putting the old cams on the bench to see if I can get 3.3V style PIRs, such as you would use in an Arduino or Pi project, and then it's 'eyes everywhere'

Here continue to utilize Optex Combos which are very modular.  NC/NO PIR, Day/Night PIR and case NC/NO and a modular build.

They are a bit stealty and look more like PIR's than cameras. 

Back