Cameras yet again.....

Rupp

OK guys I got a gift certificate for Christmas to Automated Outlet. I'm going to get me a camera but I have that same old question. Which one? BSR has shown some screen shots from his and I believe that would suffice. I'm open for suggestions. One thing I would like is a camera that would give me about the same field of view that the wide eye X10 cames do.

I am a firm believer in the cam that I got for xmas last year from wife (Gee..wonder where SHE got info from?)But...hopefully ski will chime in with specs.

JOM,
Do you have any screen shots of the cameras output? Is it color or BW or both?

It all boils down to color reproduction, light sensitivity and resolution....

What specs are you looking for, Rupp, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Ski,
Unfortunately I do not know what I'm looking for. I'm more of the type that sees a screen shot and then I can say yes that's what I want. I'm going to mount in at my front door. I want it to be around the same camera angle as the wide view X10 cameras and I want a better picture than the X10 camera offers. Other than that I'm open for suggestions.

In anticipation of the Homeseer plugin pricing increase, I finally bought the Hauppauge camera plugin (for $25). I had worked with Bryon (the developer) for a while attempting to get the PVR350 to work with his plugin, but looks like it's a lost battle.

So, what are the best video cards that people have been using with the Hauppauge plugin? Anybody see any good deals out there for one?

Let me chime in here to help/complicate matters.

I purchased THIS camera for my backyard that I am happy with. It is color by day and black and white by night. The included IR LED's provide OK illumination in total darkness, but I usually have some low voltage lights on so it wasn't the "main" reason for the purchase.

It also has an "auto iris" that I think is great because it doesn't get that color wash out in various sun angles (though it will wash out if the sun is directly aiming at the camera at a low angle). The only thing I wish it had was a larger field of view (viewing angle).

So I believe your suggested specs (anyone please add to this) might be:
  • Color by Day, B&W by Night
  • IR LED Illumination for Night
  • Auto Iris
  • Large Viewing Angle (3.6 or 2.5 mm lens, smaller =wider angle)
  • Sony or Panasonic CCD Chipset
  • Minimum 380 line resolution
Again, a more knowledgeable person could please polish up these specs.

Regards,

BSR

DavidL said:
In anticipation of the Homeseer plugin pricing increase, I finally bought the Hauppauge camera plugin (for $25). I had worked with Bryon (the developer) for a while attempting to get the PVR350 to work with his plugin, but looks like it's a lost battle.

So, what are the best video cards that people have been using with the Hauppauge plugin? Anybody see any good deals out there for one?
David:

I never tried this, but I believe you can pick up the Hauppauge WinTV Go card for cheap.

Large Viewing Angle (Someone help out with a "number" here)

a 3.6 or 2.5 mm lens is what you are looking for (smaller =wider angle)

Sony Type Chip?? (Again help!)

I used to swear by Sony....and they do have superb color, but they tend to be quite expensive. Lately I have tried a cam from Automated Outlet that uses a Panasonic chipset, and I am very happy.

Rupp

Based solely on the fact that you were satisfied with the Xcams, a 380 line cam should be all that you need. Automated has a good selection. I would suggest looking at the CL-4128WH.

This is not a night vision cam, but it works well in low light.

How about THIS one?

Specifications:

Auto IRIS, Simple Installation, CDS Auto Light Control, Built-in IR-LED, Sun Visor, SMPS Adapter, Weather Proof

1/3†SONY Super HAD CCD
380 TV Lines Res.
270K pixels
0.00001 Lux
3.6 mm (F2.0) Lens
No Audio
45dB S/N Ratio (AGC OFF)
Built In CDS Sensor
Built In IR LED (x48) Reach up to 100 ft
Dimensions: 70 x 100 x 70 mm

Can be mounted from the bottom or back (Mounting bracket not included).

Power supply is included.

Attachments

• Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 7
Ski,
I would like a really nice camera for this location. Night time viewing would be nice as well. It will be in a protected outdoor environment as well. What does more lines get me. Better resolution?

More lines= better resolution.. BUT if you are only capturing 320x240, then the best cam in the world wont make any difference.

BSR... That is a nice cam, albeit a bit expensive. THe one I suggested without the NV is about half that.

Back