Can I power the M1XEP from the M1 panel?

upstatemike

I am just getting around to mounting my M1 parts and pieces and have a question about powering the M1XEP ethernet adapter. I don't really want to deal with the AC power supply that comes with it and was wondering if there is any reason why I can't just power it off of the M1? Is anybody else doing this?

There is no reason you cannot do this, as long as you monitor your current draw and stay within limits. This is the advantage of secondary power sources for larger Elk installs.

There is no reason you cannot do this, as long as you monitor your current draw and stay within limits. This is the advantage of secondary power sources for larger Elk installs.

That is what I was thinking. And since it is 2 inches from the M1 in the can and since I won't be using M1 power for smoke detectors or bells, I figure there should not be an issue.

Upstatemike,
I cut the barrel connector off the M1XEP's plug in power supply and wired it to the M1's aux power output to power my M1XEP. As stated above, watch the overall power drain.

Upstatemike,
I cut the barrel connector off the M1XEP's plug in power supply and wired it to the M1's aux power output to power my M1XEP. As stated above, watch the overall power drain.

Thanks. I thought it should be fine but it is good to get a confirmation. Now does anybody know where I can get a really short serial cable? I ordered the 17 inch ribbon serial from Elk but that is still going to be about 14 inches too long. Anybody know a source for a 4 or 5 inch serial cable? (Male to Female)

Upstatemike,

I assume you could do the same thing with a PD9 off of a 4 Amp power supply?

Upstatemike,

I assume you could do the same thing with a PD9 off of a 4 Amp power supply?

I can confirm that ... my M1XEP is powered by a P412K via a PD9HC. See the following post.

Upstatemike,

Thanks. I thought it should be fine but it is good to get a confirmation. Now does anybody know where I can get a really short serial cable? I ordered the 17 inch ribbon serial from Elk but that is still going to be about 14 inches too long. Anybody know a source for a 4 or 5 inch serial cable? (Male to Female)

Just thinking out loud here..

Digikey, mouser

or

you could make one with some radio shack parts.

OR

you could unsnap the one end of the Elk cable and cut the wire to length and re crump the end. If it is one of those blue flat ribbon cable types. If it is and you do modify it make sure to pay attention to the connector and the red stripe.

Upstatemike,

Just thinking out loud here..

Digikey, mouser

or

you could make one with some radio shack parts.

OR

you could unsnap the one end of the Elk cable and cut the wire to length and re crump the end. If it is one of those blue flat ribbon cable types. If it is and you do modify it make sure to pay attention to the connector and the red stripe.

I don't have the Elk cable yet but you could be right. Maybe it is a snap on type that could be customized. That would be perfect!

Back