Can you recommed decent camera and software?

leeber

I am looking for something for my in-laws since they had some vandalism to their cars while out RV'ing. He was quoted $1,500 for a single camera setup and software which is outrageous.

He wants a exterior still color camera with very good low lux ratings and software to record motion detection and possibly remote web viewing. I would do all the wiring and setup to his computer which is not more than 50ft away. The do have broadband.

Price about $400 or so would be ideal.

Any recommendations would be great as he keeps bugging me because he is worried about his two prized Harleys.

Thanks.

I would recommend either VisionGS (I personally use this) or WebcamXP, both can take snapshots based on a definable % of motion detected, works great. As for cams, I suggest you check out the VisionTech cams, Martin (automatedoutlet.com) sells them, I am sure he can give you more info, but they do have some great low lux cams.

...my .02 cents:

Go with a SONY chipset (super HAD, exview, hr, etc.)

Minimum resolution of 400 lines.

Stay away from wireless cams.

Stay FAR FAR away from X-10 cams.

Use PCI for your video input, not USB. You do not need to spend a lot on a card to get good results. Hauppauge, ATI are good inexpensive alternatives, with Hauppauge being the better, mainly because you can still use a VFW driver, which is easier on your CPU when surveiling.

I like GO1984 for software (www.go1984.com). It allows for the capture of full motion video based on user definable motion, and user definable motion parameters. From that video a single full quality frame can be grabbed if needed.

I am waiting to hear back from Martin but I will look into your suggestions. It will be mounted no more than 25 ft away, so it should be feasible.

I believe her computer already has s-video in, but I have a Hauppauge card she can have.

May I ask how much your VisionGS cost and where did you get it?

I also forgot to ask, but is there a way of remotely accessing a captured video, or would Remote Assistance work just as well?

you can get VisionGS from www.visiongs.com, I think it was around $30 bucks, forgot. There is a free version, but the motion detection part stops after 30 minutes or so, but its enough for you to evaluate if it will fill your needs. Same with WebcamXP, has a trial version too, but did go up in price to $70 if I am not mistaken. Most of these packages have a webserver built in, but will work with RA.

Skibum is right on the money with the Sony CCD chipset, it's the best you can get, and doesn't have to be expensive either.

electron said:
you can get VisionGS from www.visiongs.com, I think it was around $30 bucks, forgot. There is a free version, but the motion detection part stops after 30 minutes or so, but its enough for you to evaluate if it will fill your needs. Same with WebcamXP, has a trial version too, but did go up in price to $70 if I am not mistaken. Most of these packages have a webserver built in, but will work with RA.

Skibum is right on the money with the Sony CCD chipset, it's the best you can get, and doesn't have to be expensive either.
Thanks for the quick replys. I have searched and found more than a few cameras that say Sony chipset, but are they Sony-branded, or does it matter?

Any particular models you favor?

leeber;

Welcome to Cocoontech! Your quest for a security system should also include items such as lighting, sirens, robo-dogs, etc... to hopefully scare away an intruder as well. A camera is great, but what will you do with that picture of someone stealing something? Chances are you may never find them.

I believe something like Homeseer announcing "Security Alert, Silent Alarm Sent at (current time)" and flashing lights would be a great addition.

Regards,

BSR

www.supercircuits.com is a good place to look for cameras - very large selection (large enough to be confusing).

I've got one of these P23C and it's pretty nice for a BW camera. The lens is not included. The low light performance is very good but for complete darkness you'll need illumination (visible or IR).

Sorry for the delay in my response. I spent the afternoon over at Lightolier working on some new product offerings that I think you'll find very unique..

Anyway, the Visiontech cameras that electron mentioned do have the Sony chipset (that Skibum mentioned). I do have a bunch of them in stock but not yet on the website. In your email to me you give some more specific things you're looking for. I'll send you an email this evening.

Thanks,

Martin

Back