can't get the simply-automoted UPB USR to work as a transmitter

waninae39

I'm having problems with the Simply-automated UPB USR remotes.

I've tried wiring as a :

1) slave to a controller(with a traveller wire). I have a US2-40 as the controller and the USR at the far end remote ie 3 ways. no luck with the USR. It will not enter start up mode and UPS start does not see it. When wired up with a traveller wire, the USR switch seems to only acts as a remote and NOT as a transmitter. If I put the USR into setup mode, then the US2-40 it's attached to goes into setup mode and not the USR

2) as a stand alone unit. UPSstart program does not see the USR as a separate device- it does not see it at all. The USR will not enter setup mode, thus there is no way to set its ID or what it should transmit. Standalone i wired it directly to the black white and ground

does anyone have any experience/luck with any USR units yet ?

My design is based upon is upon one controller per sets of lights and one or more switches that simply acts as transmitters. Thus i should be able to accomplish this with the main controllers other posiions ie 2-7; but no luck yet with the USR

I would also like to use the USR as a transmit device only when there are situations such as ,where you can't run a traveler wire or the controller is in the fixture.

Is this possible to do this? If not with a UPB, then with what?
I don't meet a full US2-40 as i don't need to control a load directly. I simply need a switch to acts as a transmitter

i don't know if i can answer all of your questions, but i can answer a few.

the USR will never been seen by upstart, as it has no communications. it is designed to act as a 3-way with a load-controlling switch. so the reason you see the US-240 go into setup mode when you 5-tap the remote is because it is essentially the same thing as 5-tapping the US-240.

now, what i'm not sure on is what the behavior of the paddle on the remote would be if the US-240 does not control a load. does the top of the paddle mimic button 1? what does the bottom of the paddle mimic?

so, i think the crux of your problem is that you are expecting the USR to transmit something, when in fact, all it does is send a signal on the traveler wire to the US-240 (and maybe not even send a signal, but close a circuit or something).

A USR is not a transmitter and does not send or receive UPB signals (therefore will not be seen by UPstart) It will only send a change of state through the traveler to a US240 or other UPB switch. If you want to use a switch as a transmitter and not carry a load you will have to use a SA 1130 or an HAI switch and just not connect a load to it. If you are near a Fry's they may still have UPB switches for around $39(mine still does)

Dave

tnx for the fast replies

what i really need is a device that does send and receive, like a US2-40 but without the need to drive a load

in cases where i already have a US2-40 in the box, i can use a 2,4 or 8 way front plate to drive the other transmit functions

in the case where i don't have a controller, that is where i hoped the USR would work on it's own

tnx for the fast replies

what i really need is a device that does send and receive, like a US2-40 but without the need to drive a load

in cases where i already have a US2-40 in the box, i can use a 2,4 or 8 way front plate to drive the other transmit functions

in the case where i don't have a controller, that is where i hoped the USR would work on it's own

Nobody makes a single UPB transmitter that doesn't carry a load. PCS and HAI make 6 button transmitters that do not carry a load. If you are looking for the least expensive way to do what you want it looks like the HAI 35A001 Here at only $60 is your best bet, (unless, like I said before you are near a Fry's)

Dave

Back