Cat 5e wire price, to good?

I would never buy anything from a store with such a poor design. Even the shopping cart software looks bad. I did find 1 review, and it happens to be one of our members:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SellNtell_Networks

Geeks.com used to sell 1000ft spools around that price, but the shipping was a little high, and quality of the cable was not the best. I can only assume this is a similar offering.

That price is pretty good, what's the shipping.

take a look at monoprice.com

Wire cost $65.50.
Shipping cost is $18.95. That comes to about 8.5 cents/ft

Home Depot has 500ft for $55.00.
Also indoor/outdoor 500ft for $77.00.
That comes to about 15.4 cents/ft (ouch)

Any thoughts about the better frequency response?
350Mhz vs 100Mhz.

Mike

I would never buy anything from a store with such a poor design. Even the shopping cart software looks bad. I did find 1 review, and it happens to be one of our members:

Hmm! I found the site easy to navigate, it had lots of info about each product and I
found the shipping charges without problem. Shopping cart looked good to me.
What would you do different?
Mike

PS. anybody know what's different between horizontal cable and vertical cable?
I'm not talking about plenum cable.

That price is pretty good, what's the shipping.

take a look at monoprice.com

Monoprice.com
$72.00 for 1000ft including the shipping. ($50.50 + $21.10)

Indoor/outdoor $122.00 for 1000ft including the shipping. ($101.00+21.10)

Thanks, Mike

If I am remembering correctly...from my BICSI days...
Cat5 is 300MHz
Cat5E is 350MHz

I can't remember what 6 is...

Think of it this way...300MHz is more then adequate for 10Base-T, decent for 100Base-T...350 is better and the min. you should have for Gigabit.

The lower the frequency the worse the cable performs at higher frequency transfers. So, you can get Gigabit to TX and RX perfectly fine with 300MHz cable...so long as you are not doing anything data heavy...transferring files, etc. Voip stuff will get messed up, etc. You will get more data errors.

Personally, I can't really see the difference in Cat5E and Cat6. Is it worth the $$...dunno...but I wouldn't put anything in my house rated lower then Cat5. And even at that, I ran Cat5E for ALL my data. Cat 5 for voice / speakers (distributed audio / whole house audio system).

The reason for not running all Cat5E...well, I already had two spools of cable...so I used them both. If I didn't already own the two spools, I definalty would have just bought two 1000' spools of cat5E and pull that.

--Dan

You might also want to check out Direct Buriable Cat5 cable if you need to run it outside.

I used it on a long run to a green house and it was great not having to bury cable in a pipe.

Back