cat5 placement

chevy_b69

Hi

Am starting to first fix my new extension and am wanting to automate a number of devices so will be running cat5 cables to them as well as power supply (not to close).

I am planning on doing standard wiring at this stage and then automating as a hobby once it is all complete, I am wondering whether to put the cat5 cables at the switch or at the automated item E.g light, curtain, projector screen.

Also are there switch banks/grids that can work for both automated and non automated systems ?

I am based in the UK.

Many thanks

Unfortunately, the automation schemes aren't standardized, and not everything can be automated via a cat5/cat5e/cat6 (category) cable.

I suggest you decide on lighting control and curtain control systems now, i.e. decide which automation platform and manufacturer you want to eventually use for each, and intstall the cables required per the specs.

For the projector screen, I don't know.

You mention lighting, curtains, and projector screen. Any other items you want to automate? Is this 'extension' a home addition? For a dedicated theater?

Unfortunately, the automation schemes aren't standardized, and not everything can be automated via a cat5/cat5e/cat6 (category) cable.

I suggest you decide on lighting control and curtain control systems now, i.e. decide which automation platform and manufacturer you want to eventually use for each, and intstall the cables required per the specs.

For the projector screen, I don't know.

You mention lighting, curtains, and projector screen. Any other items you want to automate? Is this 'extension' a home addition? For a dedicated theater?
Items I wish to automate are as follows (was thinking of using CQC)

Under floor heating - Heatmiser PRT-EN Thermostat
12 lights - C-bus lights, liked the look of the saturn range.
Heat recovery system
Air source heat pump/ AC system
Isolator for non essential power and one for garden house.
shut off valve for water
skylights which are Velux Integra
curtains - undecided brand
projector - currently a Screenplay cant remember model but about six years old.
Projector screen
5.1 speakers
Security alarms
smoke and fire alarms

I was planning on taking a cat5 cable to the switch point of each of these, 12 for the lighting and 4 for underfloor heating.

Will they all be speaking different languages ?

will one cat5 to each be enough ? or do I need other cabling as well (apart from AV)

If they "speak" a language at all they will most likely all be different. That's why you need CQC or something similar to bridge all those different languages together.

If you are not sure what you want to put at different locations, I suggest conduit. It is especially easy if you have unfinished space above/below the room in question as you can simply run the conduit a short distance up/down into the attic/basement/crawl space and pull whatever wire you need in the future.

It sounds from what is being said that a lot of things require more than just cat5 to automate.

Apart from the projector which also needs HDMI and The speakers which I will wire with speaker cable, Coax for TV ETC these are all AV items.

Can you give me an example on my list that is not AV that might need more than a cat5 cable ?

Your drape openers may need a power source that is not low voltage or at least is more current than a cat5 can handle. You will also need to consider the distance, if you are running the cat5 a long way, you won't be able to run much current through it. I have an elk-wsv that does run off of 12vdc and I do use cat 5 for that. I doubled up the wires on that. Also your Velux window opener may need more juice than a cat5 can handle.

I would not use cat5 for the smokes but instead use the 4 stranded wire designed for that purpose.

If you can pick the 'overlord controller' (e.g. CQC) now, then the job gets easier. For each of your subsystems, you will choose devices that CQC can control easily. Check the CQC forums, find out what equipment others have used in your area (U.K.?); no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Not every controller will work with every subsystem, e.g. Velux Integra windows may not be easily integrated with CQC, or any other controller for that matter. Always pick subsystem hardware that is known to work with the main control platform. You can't just pick any thermostat, run a cable to it, and expect to control it. You need to choose a thermostat that can be integrated - 'talk' - to a controller. I don't think that Heatmiser PRT-EN qualifies as a thermostat that can be integrated. This applies for every subsystem.

Curtains/drapes/shades and lighting are the 2 biggies that you should choose now, before construction. It will make life much easier. The other subsystems are more standardized.

Do you have an electrician buddy/colleague that has done these types of home automation installs before? Maybe you can make a new friend in the business? Figuring out what devices integrate well, and what doesn't, is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome when starting out. I've seen pics from European installs on the CQC forum, would be a great place to search.

If you can pick the 'overlord controller' (e.g. CQC) now, then the job gets easier. For each of your subsystems, you will choose devices that CQC can control easily. Check the CQC forums, find out what equipment others have used in your area (U.K.?); no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Not every controller will work with every subsystem, e.g. Velux Integra windows may not be easily integrated with CQC, or any other controller for that matter. Always pick subsystem hardware that is known to work with the main control platform. You can't just pick any thermostat, run a cable to it, and expect to control it. You need to choose a thermostat that can be integrated - 'talk' - to a controller. I don't think that Heatmiser PRT-EN qualifies as a thermostat that can be integrated. This applies for every subsystem.

Curtains/drapes/shades and lighting are the 2 biggies that you should choose now, before construction. It will make life much easier. The other subsystems are more standardized.

Do you have an electrician buddy/colleague that has done these types of home automation installs before? Maybe you can make a new friend in the business? Figuring out what devices integrate well, and what doesn't, is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome when starting out. I've seen pics from European installs on the CQC forum, would be a great place to search.

will check out cqc forum now.

the wiring your house 101 link was great too.

thanks again

Back