CAT5E/6 rather than RG6QS

v1rtu0s1ty

hey guys, someone from avsforum told me about this, http://www.smarthome.com/7821cr.html

It's a component or composite balun. With these, I don't have to run the RG6QS cables. So, a lot of savings! Do you think the signal quality will still be pure? Has anyone tried this?

What are some disadvantages now if I'm not going to run RG6 anymore to each room(since with this solution, I might use CAT5E or 6)?

Thanks!

This is a nice solution if all you plan to distribute is composite video. If you ever want to deliver CATV, Off the air antenna or locally originated (modulator) RF content you will be out of luck as that requires coax. I would stick to a uniform wiring plan and drop two coax cables in to every room (even more in heavy A/V areas). Considering the cost of just two baluns you can buy a lot of coax for that price. (just my 2 cents worth)

electriclight said:
This is a nice solution if all you plan to distribute is composite video. If you ever want to deliver CATV, Off the air antenna or locally originated (modulator) RF content you will be out of luck as that requires coax. I would stick to a uniform wiring plan and drop two coax cables in to every room (even more in heavy A/V areas). Considering the cost of just two baluns you can buy a lot of coax for that price. (just my 2 cents worth)
Yep, you're right about the price of baluns. 2 baluns, I can already buy a nice 500 ft RG6 QS cable. Btw, those baluns I showed aren't just for composite, they're for component(YPbPr). CAT5 cables are just neater looking. I'm afraid that I'm mangling the signal if using those baluns. That means, I will stick back with my original configuration which is using RG6QS cables.

Some people here had mentioned using some of these, if I recall correctly, the low end ones were not that great, but there were higher bandwidth ones that worked very well.

The low end ones were very cheap ($20 I think) versus what you see in Smarthome or the like, which was much more (and times two if I remember as well).

If you can run the coax, that may be cleaner. Using these baluns is much easier though, especially if you have cat5 run already. Think about it, one cat5, or 5 coax....

I have not tried one though, although I would consider it if the wiring was tough.

Back