Ceiling Fan control

okcpsidata

I have a M1gold with a m1xrf2h wireless receiver and a m1xep ethernet interface. I am installing my first ceiling fan and I would like to interface it to my M1. My house has X10 for all lighting and HVAC. I know.... But I installed all the x10 about 10 years ago with a JDS time commander and it got the job done. I just have the m1 now controlling everything.

What would be the the most cost effective means to control one ceiling fan. Z-wave, insteon, lutron.....

I do not want to buy expensive interfaces for the m1 to just control one fan. I do not have any experience with the "newer" systems. I need a wall switch (or maybe remote) control and a module in the fan to control the dimming of the light and speed of the fan. I will only have pwr going to the fan. No switch legs.

Thanks for you help

Andrew

Easiest since you already have legacy X-10 would be to go the insteon route and then integrate X10 and insteon together rather than replace the entire setup you already have.

You could use X10 as well, downside is they're not being made anymore, however I'm sure you already know the pitfalls with the X10.

Easiest since you already have legacy X-10 would be to go the insteon route and then integrate X10 and insteon together rather than replace the entire setup you already have.

You could use X10 as well, downside is they're not being made anymore, however I'm sure you already know the pitfalls with the X10.

Yes, Insteon just came out with a brand new fan controller with 3 speeds and dimming light control. Except with X10 fan control is just on/off.

http://www.smarthome.com/2475F/FanLinc-INSTEON-Ceiling-Fan-and-Light-Controller-Fixture-Module-Dual-Band/p.aspx

Thanks for the advice. What do I need to get going with insteon? Do I need a controller/repeater like a isy99? I am not up on the topography to get insteon inserted into my system.

I use 2 of these Insteon fan switches and one Z-Wave fan switch and one of the older X10 fan switches (no longer made) with HomeSeer and they work equally as well. If you wanted to integrate a software interface you could mix and match any of the hardware that any of the protocols offer and choose the best of what is offered. Many HomeSeer users control their ELK systems with an ELK plugin and this allows for the ability to integrate just about any hardware/software you want.

I have four of the Icon non-dimming switches controlling fans via Elk/X10. I have it read the temperature from my thermostat and turn them on/off based on that. I was debating controlling fan speed for awhile and it really increased the cost/complexity, and I realized we don't do it manually very often. The whole setup works flawlessly. I just added interior door sensors so now I can have them come on if needed at bedtime, etc. I am pretty happy with this setup.

Thanks for the advice. What do I need to get going with insteon? Do I need a controller/repeater like a isy99? I am not up on the topography to get insteon inserted into my system.

You already have x10, so you can just link your x10 stuff directly to the insteon fan linc. You do give up 3 speed control that way. If you want the three speed control you can get some insteon switches to control it. They will also talk to your x10 stuff directly.

ISY is a great tool, but would be overkill for just controlling your fans. If you wanted to automate your entire x10/insteon installation, ISY would be a very good tool. I don't know anything about the size of your setup, but the bigger it is, the more valuable an ISY would be.

And ISY has a new zigbee version available at Best Buy for a very good price. If I were doing it again, I would buy that version for sure. Keep in mind that x10 is not nearly as full functioned as Insteon so your ISY will be a little underutilized when running x10 stuff.

Back