Cell requirement for HD Voice capability?

JimS

Trying to troubleshoot connectivity issues with Cricket so put the SIM card in my previous Samsung J7 that was used with ATT.  They told us at the time it wasn't compatible but not the details.  Got a message from them now that the phone doesn't have HD Voice.  Calls don't work but text and internet does.  Is HD voice a requirement for all providers for 5G?  Just wanting to understand the details as I need to get a newer phone for Cricket and may go for a used one.

The Samsung J7 does do HD Voice.  

Ensure HD Voice is activated .
From a Home screen, swipe up then tap Settings Settings icon.
Tap Connections.
Tap Advanced Calling
Tap Advanced Calling again.
Tap the Advanced Calling switch (located in the upper-right) to turn on Switch on or off Switch off.
When turned on, tap one of the following:
HD Voice and Video calling
HD Voice

Here installed Google Voice on my Android phone and use it more than my regular cell connection and typically only give my GV number out for my mobile phone. (it rings phones and home Obi box).  

JimS said:
 Is HD voice a requirement for all providers for 5G?  Just wanting to understand the details as I need to get a newer phone for Cricket and may go for a used one.
Actually HD Voice is a 4G LTE technology, that basically passes voice calls using the data channel. The voice channel, which previously was separate is gone. They claim "better voice response" which is true, but 95% of it benefits the wireless carriers.  

pete_c said:
The Samsung J7 does do HD Voice.  

Ensure HD Voice is activated .
From a Home screen, swipe up then tap Settings Settings icon.
Tap Connections.
Tap Advanced Calling
Tap Advanced Calling again.
Tap the Advanced Calling switch (located in the upper-right) to turn on Switch on or off Switch off.
When turned on, tap one of the following:
HD Voice and Video calling
HD Voice

Here installed Google Voice on my Android phone and use it more than my regular cell connection and typically only give my GV number out for my mobile phone. (it rings phones and home Obi box).  
Thanks Pete, but I don't seem to have that option.  I found on cricket that it is supported but it had a note that the latest software was required.  I downloaded Samsung tool to backup and update phone and it reported I had the latest.  When I go to Connections I don't have an option for advanced calling.

And Ano is right.  The phone isn't 5G capable AFAIK.  It is 4G LTE.

Apparently my phone doesn't have HD voice or some other needed stuff.  Galaxy J7 (SM-J737U) is on their BYOD list as compatible and that is my model but entering the IMEI in their compatibility check says it isn't compatible.  Strange...

Back