Centralite JetStream

Captain Caveman

Today I have attended dealer training of the Centralite Jetstream lighting system at Elk headquarters. In a nutshell the Jetstream is slick and quick from a configuration standpoint.

Unlike Z-Wave there is no controller to carry around. PC configuration of the devices is done with either of the following bridges; USB, RS232 or Ethernet. Programming is done in realtime, and all you Insteon folks will love how easy and quick this really is.

The system supports up to 200 devices, 100 scenes, each device can be part of up to 30 scenes and can do up to 50 timed events.

If your light switch needs to be replaced you simply discover your new device and swap out the address of the old for the new. All other devices and scenes do not need to be relinked, it's automatic and it's done on the fly.

Jetstream switches occupy a standard electrical box and does require the neutral.

For an automation controller such as Elk or HAI, an RS232 bridge or ethernet bridge is required. Also nothing new needs to be written for your automation controller to communicate with the Jetstream if it already has support for any of the other Centralite systems.

I did a review awhile back of Cortexa with Insteon, since that review I wished I never touched Insteon. Jetstream is now the product of choice for my company when doing retros.

Have you learned about any potential limitations? Sounds like a great system.

Limitations or interference? If you mean interference then yes, other RF generating devices such as microwaves can potentially cause issues. However it is a self healing, mesh network and does channel hopping. Each device has a range of about 75'.

I would like to know the status of the Starlite as well. It is a good, sound system which has gotten very good reviews on cocoontech from users. However, if it is going to be replaced by something new, now may not be the best time to invest in it. The problem is that, according to Martin, Jetstream is not coming out until January, which is too long for my current project.

I assume that Centralite will continue to support Starlite for a while?

I would like to know the status of the Starlite as well. It is a good, sound system which has gotten very good reviews on cocoontech from users. However, if it is going to be replaced by something new, now may not be the best time to invest in it. The problem is that, according to Martin, Jetstream is not coming out until January, which is too long for my current project.

I was told by Centralite that it should be shipping around November 1.

That would be fantastic news. As far as the ELK integration goes, where are they at in terms of releasing firmware to support the system? Is it already working, or will it take a few weeks (months) after the release of the Jetstream?

Thanks so much for this post, Captain.

That would be fantastic news. As far as the ELK integration goes, where are they at in terms of releasing firmware to support the system? Is it already working, or will it take a few weeks (months) after the release of the Jetstream?

Thanks so much for this post, Captain.

Since Elk already supports Centralite there is nothing for them to do. The firmware remains the same, Elk will connect through the RS232 bridge provided by Centralite.

I meant StarLite. I saw it was removed from their site. Any idea why it is being phased out?

The ZigBee Pro is a more reliable platform. Plus you get to save money by not paying a development team to support a proprietary network that has the same features as ZigBee Pro.

George West
www.wtrs.net

Just got home from the 2nd day of Centralite training. Today I got my hands on their Elegance system (hardwired), but that's another topic.

I only know estimated dealer costs, not quite sure what the retail pricing will be. Check out thier starter pak which lists at $699 and that may give you some idea of what to expect.

edit spelling

Back